Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-30-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Straightening a Boom

Noticed that my boom has a slight rise and bend to starboard as though it stuffered a violent gybe, the boom is 2.25" x 3.00" x 11'.67", tear drop profile

Forespar asked me to bring it down to see what they can do; Do you think this can be straightened or should I bite the bullet and get ahold of Dwyer and replace it ?? ( 379.00 )

It is a slight bend in both directiond ( up and out ) but noticable when sighting down the length
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Damn that's a small boom. The only problem with straightening a boom is that may weaken it. You might want to see about getting a slightly heavier boom, considering this one bent as it has. It can't hurt to have Forespar at least look at the boom though. Did it bend at a fitting or in the middle of the spar, where there is no hardware attached??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-30-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
PDP...

Of course you can straighten it some...that lenght and shape and thickness will do it...

I would straighten it, no problem...done that many times (except last time ehehehehehe)

Just be carefull when you do it, and avoid "starightening" all to soon and too fast. Do small portions at a time...That's what Saprcraft and others do.

The get it jammed and bend it....

Go ahead, gentle but firmly, use a steel baclony frame or something you can use to do leverage

you're OK

let me know.
Old 04-30-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Damn that's a small boom.

LOL, yeah it's a small one, it's off a 69' Islander excaliber
Quote:

The only problem with straightening a boom is that may weaken it. You might want to see about getting a slightly heavier boom,
This was my concern and also my next question if someone was to bring it up;

Can it be reinforced from the inside, the only reason I would go this route is that the grooseneck and outhaul cap are era dated, the style would be impossible to replace

Quote:
Considering this one bent as it has. It can't hurt to have Forespar at least look at the boom though.
agree, can't hurt

Quote:
Did it bend at a fitting or in the middle of the spar, where there is no hardware attached??
it appears the bend starts at the vang plate
Old 04-30-2007

Sorry Giu, I didn't see your reply, I was working and sailnetting at the same time, I didn't realize it took me 30 mins to write a post......LOL

Thanks for the info, I feel a little better about it now; I'm trying to keep the hardware as original as humanly possible and the lastest extrusions just don't fit what I have and the lastest hardware doesn't fit the era, so I was kinda bumming about replacing the boom & Hdwr
Old 04-30-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I wouldn't even bother starightening it unless its too far bent.

Send a photo, sometimes its so minor that its not worth it. You can allways let it be till it fails...
Old 04-30-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
I wouldn't even bother starightening it unless its too far bent.

Send a photo, sometimes its so minor that its not worth it. You can allways let it be till it fails...
PDP-

He should know... Since he's the resident expert on boom breakage...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-30-2007

My wife says the same thing, we've been sailing with it since we bought the boat 10 month ago,so why worry over it, and it probably isn't a big deal to let it go, it's just I know it's bent and that in itself bugs.
Old 04-30-2007
Telstar 28

If it doesn't interfere with sailing the boat... ignore it until it becomes either unnoticeable or a raging obsession, in which case, you'll just replace it...

Telstar 28
New England