Iíve finally gotten around to installing the ground tackle upgrade for my boat. I removed the original foredeck cleat and the starboard side chock, and have to get around to removing the port-side chock but canít get my fingers past the bowsprit to do it yet.
The new ground tackle consists of a bow anchor roller, a windlass, two new 10" cleats and new bow chocks. It was a tight fit, but I did manage to get everything installed. I also installed stainless steel rubstrakes along both sides of the bow to help prevent chafe against the fiberglass.
The windlass is installed over where the original bow cleat was, which Iíve been told is cored with marine plywood instead of balsa. The base plate for the bow roller is mounted on a bed of thickened epoxy to level out the deck, and is effectively epoxied to the deck, along with being held down by three 3/8" stainless steel bolts.
All of the fastener holes were drilled oversized and then filled with System Three epoxy thickened with collodial silica. This is to help protect the deck core from water intrusion and to create a solid seat for the fasteners. I also backed each piece of hardware with a block of 5/4" composite deck material.
This should make using my primary anchor, which is a 15kg Rocna, a bit easier. Iím planning on installing the chainpipe into the deckplate that is visible. This should give me a relatively easy way to store the anchor rode, while keeping the deck relatively neat.
BTW, hereís a photo of the new setup. Sorry for the poor photo quality, but it was taken in relatively low light with a camera phone.