SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Stupid newbie question of the day

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Sabreman 
#1 ·
The valve under my sink is stuck in the open position. It actually won't budge. I was told that I need to replace the valve. A guy I've befriended told me the best and simplest way to replace the valve, was to take apart the thru hull, replace the hose and valve, then put a new thru hull in place of the old one. He said that this would actually be easier than trying to remove the valve from the hose in its current location. He also said it's how the folks at his shop would make the repair if I were to hire them. Hmmm. Sounded odd to me...but in a way, it kind of made sense (in that "hmmm, YGBSM" way. It also sounded really easy when he was explaining it, but like all things I've never done before, I'd rather watch the first time. If I do decide to replace the thru hull...how does one go about taking apart the old one...he said something about grinding it off from the outside and it simply pops off. I have a feeling I'm in for a big $urpri$e. Any ideas? Help:confused:

#2 ·
Can't help, but I'm sure others can.
I will say that replacing a thru-hull is anything but a stupid newbie question. Its something that must be done carefully and correctly.

Are you sure you can't just replace the ball valve?
Removing the thru hull and rebedding etc., sounds like a lot of work for a bad valve.

#3 ·
Assuming the through hull is in good shape...there is no need to remove it.
Remove the hose from the sea-cock...unscrew the sea-cock from the thru-hull (that's the hard part...may require penetrating oil and/or heat to loosen)...and then screw on a new one. If that doesn't work...you may need to grind out the entire through hull.

#4 ·
Is this "valve" a seacock that is physically attached to the through hull or a diverter valve?

Through hulls require you to haul the boat out to replace them as a general rule. They screw together and to take them apart you need a big flat to unscrew the outside part of the through hull from the inner part.

Unless this is a seacock, there is no reason to remove the through hull to replace it. You may have to replace some of the hoses, but should be able to remove the valve fairly easily. The way I would recommend you do it is to pour really hot water into the valve and see if that frees it up first. If it doesn't then the valve needs to be replaced.

A quick and dirty way to do it, if you have to replace the valve, you can probably cut both of the hoses and then replace one of the hoses with a new one, that is long enough to compensate for the reduced length. :D

#5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies

I like the idea of running very hot water thru the hoses to see if that frees up the valve. If that doesn't work, I'll try to replace the valve from inside...rather than taking apart the thru hull. If I simply can't budge the think, I'll hire someone to take apart the thru hull...and I'll watch and learn. The boat is currently on the hard so it's a good time to do the job. Also...a follow-up question...

...How does one service the other valves. They are all ball-in-socket types. How do I lube 'em, and what's best to use? OK, so this may be kind of silly...but I thougt about using long q-tips with some sort of lubrication applied on the tip, and going from the outside thru the thru-hull...while someone inside the boat works the valve back-and-forth.

Thanks again

#7 ·
You can lube them from either the inside or the outside.. outside is easier, especially if the boat is on the hard ATM. Anhydrous lanolin or lanocote can be used to lubricate the seacock ball valve, and works fairly well.

You really need to lubricate them about once every six months and you need to work the valves at least once a month, to prevent them from freezing in position.

#9 ·
if its a plastic thru-hull be VERRRRRRRYYYYYYY careful when you apply that big-azz wrench to the valve.

#11 ·
Just a follow up. As you may remember, the valve under my sink was absolutely frozen in place. No one could budge it. I was advised to replace the thru hull and the valve as well.

Sailing Dog recommended that I pour very hot water downt he drain to see if that would un-stick it...

I finally got to the boat, poured some boiling water down the drain...and...voila...the valve worked!! Very happy...thanks for the great advice Sailingdog.

#12 ·
:D Glad to help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.