Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-01-2007

geary126 is on a distinguished road
even more exciting...! FILLING HOLES WITH EPOXY

Gents: What's the best way to fill a 3/8" hole through the cabin with epoxy so that it's perfectly flush?

I'm clear on taping the bottom and filling it up with a syringe, but how to keep the mess contained and/or flush?

Was thinking about placing a piece of blue masking tape down, drilling through it, and then filling with epoxy. Lift tape after done, and epoxy outside of drill hole lifts off, no?

Merci.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2007

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
I just filled the holes for my handrails last week, from the deck. I taped them from the bottom and used a syringe. A few filled right away but others just kept emtying. I was thinking, oh god the cores rotted out. I am already in the midst of recoring under the mast step so i don't want to find more wet core. It turns out though that the epoxy was actually leaking out in between the inner skin and the headliner. My headliner is fiberglass and was a little loose in several spots....not anymore I just wedged a 2 by4 in between the headliner and floor to seal the hole and they all filled quickly...phew!
Old 05-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You can always use a sharp wood chisel to clear off the epoxy flush with the cabintop once it has cured. You will need to gelcoat or paint the epoxy though, since it will degrade under UV if not protected.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-01-2007

geary126 is on a distinguished road
thanks, guys.

but how about keeping the epoxy within the circular area? Is my drill-through the tape idea a good one?
Old 05-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would cut the tape with a razor or sharp knife instead...however, the tape being down may interfere with the epoxy getting a good bond with the outer edge of the laminate...I wouldn't tape it. If the area is relatively flat, a chisel will be able to get down to the gelcoat without much problem and keep the epoxy limited to the hole.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 05-01-2007

shantijwk is on a distinguished road
If you plan to redrill the hole you should be using microballons or equal it will be less brittle to work when cured. Mix to thick consistancy and you will be able to build it up above the surface. If you are not going to redrill a sharp chisle with a true edge will trim it nicely by hand or you could set a router bit flush with the base plate and trim it.
Old 05-01-2007
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
My personal favorite material for relatively small holes, especially if they need to be redrilled, is "plumbers stick". It's an epoxy so it's as waterproof as any epoxy gets (my record on these things is 7 years so far). It's a lot easier to form since it is of a play-doh consistency, will fill the hole properly and easily and can be smoothed with a wet finger in a pinch.

For holes that will then be used for a screw, you can even avoid redrilling - simply screw the fastener in while the putty is still soft, make sure to do it in the center so it is not breaking seal integrity, then let dry.

This is also very much preferable to dealing with epoxy for small repairs, since it is pretty hard to mix such a small amount of epoxy and losing $10 worth every time is not great.
Old 05-01-2007
Telstar 28

As Shantijwk has pointed out the epoxy should definitely be thickened, but I prefer using collodial silica or a high-density filler, which will give the repair more strength than a microballoon filler will provide.

The plumber's stick is another good option, but I wouldn't use it myself, since I generally have System Three or West System epoxy on the boat. MarineTex is also another possibility.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 05-01-2007
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
I have a good stash of MAS epoxy that I use for anything requiring more than a dab. But those less-than-1/2" holes just don't seem to call for that sort of big guns
And plumbers stick might work in a pinch when you really need to plug something right away Who knows - it might save a boat one day

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
The plumber's stick is another good option, but I wouldn't use it myself, since I generally have System Three or West System epoxy on the boat. MarineTex is also another possibility.
Old 05-01-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
If the exterior is white, you might want to fill the hole nearly flush with epoxy, and then after it hardens finish it off with a bit or white MarineTex epoxy paste. Regular epoxy is not UV-resistant, but the filled MarineTex is. And being white, it will be closer to the white of most exterior fiberglass.

Your masking tape should work but of course you still have to trim the epoxy plug across the hole. And, you could use wax (couple of dabs of paste wax or white candle wax) instead of the blue tape as well. Just don't get it in the hole.