Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-14-2010

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
I uses PropShield. Its lanolin base. It really reduces barnacles growth. But it doesn't last very long. 6months tops. Still need to dive under to nick barnacles off (not scrap) ocassionally. My friend uses PropSpeed with good results but pricey. I just coat it last weekend. Previous time was Oct2009.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
I also think the Pettit zinc barnacle spray paint is a great product, it has worked well for me for twn years. I would recommend not putting bottom paint on a prop.
Old 04-14-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Pettit Zinc Coat Barnacle Barrier

Defender has for about $17.00

Last edited by T37Chef; 04-14-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-14-2010

T26Rich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to T26Rich
Primocon and Hard Bottom Paint

2 coats of Interlux Primocon, then two coats of BWM hard bottom paint seems to work for me. Your mileage may vary...
Old 04-14-2010
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
I know this is a really old thread, but I'd like to follow through (people rarely do and it is always interesting to me how things worked out).

So - the time referenced in my message above (3 years ago) I used zinc prop paint without a primer. It was off the prop completely in less than 2 months.

I did the same thing next year but cleaned the prop and used the primer first, also applied the same treatment to the bronze rudder gudgeons. The result - it adhered in some places (so much that I had to later power sand it off) while completely dissolved in others, in nice round swiss cheese pattern - again in just a few short months.

I.e. - I doubt it protects against much osmosis, if anything it either promotes it or at least simply gets removed very quickly. It also does not help in any perceptible way against barnacles, only making situation worse because now I have to remove both barnacles and that stuff. I ain't doing that anymore.
Old 04-14-2010
Senior Mumble

jbondy is on a distinguished road
One of the guys in our club used Interlux Primocon and Trilux prop and drive paint last season and said it worked great. Since our stainless prop got really badly fouled last year, I'm going to try his recommendation this season.
Old 04-14-2010

Exclamation Um, sounds odd to me, but what do I know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
I know this is a really old thread, but I'd like to follow through (people rarely do and it is always interesting to me how things worked out).

So - the time referenced in my message above (3 years ago) I used zinc prop paint without a primer. It was off the prop completely in less than 2 months.

I did the same thing next year but cleaned the prop and used the primer first, also applied the same treatment to the bronze rudder gudgeons. The result - it adhered in some places (so much that I had to later power sand it off) while completely dissolved in others, in nice round swiss cheese pattern - again in just a few short months.

I.e. - I doubt it protects against much osmosis, if anything it either promotes it or at least simply gets removed very quickly. It also does not help in any perceptible way against barnacles, only making situation worse because now I have to remove both barnacles and that stuff. I ain't doing that anymore.

Speaking only for myself, I have used the Pettit Zinc Coat Barnacle Barrier Coat on my Stainless Autostream prop and bronze shaft for the past four years with great results. The boat is located on Upper Chesapeake Bay - Patapsco River - Brackish Water. I remove any paint build up ever other year using a wire brush attachment on a drill followed by a wipe with thinner. It takes me about 30 minutes to do a through job. I do not use any primer. I apply per directions 2-3 coats with in 5 minutes of each other in 60 degree temp. http://www.pettitpaint.com/fileshare...ds/1179320.pdf

The boat was just pulled today, the zinc paint was last applied March of 2009, the boat is keep in the water year round. I will take pictures tomorrow evening and will hopefully have them posted to this thread by Saturday. I can tell you that I have a 99% Barnacle free prop and shaft, you'll see soon enough. Most everyone in the boat yard uses it as well with similar results?
Old 04-16-2010

Fwiw...

Unfortunately, I didn't make it to the boat before they power washed the bottom, (I wanted a pic showing a more realistic result) but here is a shot of the shaft and prop (don't mind the cutlass ) after more than 12 months in the water. You can see on the strut where a few barnacles were, but otherwise its pretty clean. This year I will remove whats left and apply fresh, last year I just ruffed it up a bit and did a re-coat.

Last edited by T37Chef; 04-16-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-16-2010
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
T37, your paint is white - or is this just an effect of a digital photo? The one I used is fairly dark gray. I wonder.
Old 04-16-2010

light gray, is was getting dark and there was a flash