Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-17-2010
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
I applied a product called Peller Clean by Seajet Seajetpaint in November of 2008 and just last week there were some very minor signs of fouling which were easily dislodged. This is the first time I've tried anything other than Micron 66 on my bronze two blade prop. Historically the fouling on the prop would require monthly agressive scraping within a year of a bottom job even though the bottom was still pretty clean. I plan to haul again in November 2010 and absolutley will utilize this product again. It is about one half the price of Prop Speed and came highly reccommended from both powerboaters and sailboaters.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2010

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Today I applied two coats os Aquagard Alumi-Kote, color black. The can said it works on aluminum and other non-ferris metals. It semed to adhere okay. I might do a light sanding and another coat tomorrow.

I'll let everyone know how it works, but the bottom will be getting cleaned weekly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jarcher; 04-08-2011 at 02:16 AM.
Old 04-19-2010
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
At my marina a number of folks with bronze props take them of cover them in lanolin and bake in an oven. it comes out looking like it has been varnished and feels very slick. Just an obsevation.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 04-19-2010

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
. I remove any paint build up ever other year using a wire brush attachment on a drill followed by a wipe with thinner. It takes me about 30 minutes to do a through job. I do not use any primer. :
It takes me about a full day with wire brush attachment to remove the paint and primer from my max prop. However I'm also getting good results keeping the boat in the water for 3 years between haul outs here on the Cheaspeake. I do prime the prop with the interlux underwater metal products prior to putting on the hard bottom paint. Only 2 coats for each so as not to get a high build up.
Old 04-08-2011

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcher View Post
Today I applied two coats os Aquagard Alumi-Kote, color black. The can said it works on aluminum and other non-ferris metals. It semed to adhere okay. I might do a light sanding and another coat tomorrow.

I'll let everyone know how it works, but the bottom will be getting cleaned weekly.
So here we are 1 year later. I was very disappointed with the Alumi-Kote. Last October, it was mostly gone, after about 6 months. This year I am going to try the Pettit stuff people have talked about in this thread. If that does not work, the following season I'll bite the bullet and go for the very expensive stuff. We'll see...

Old 04-08-2011

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Prop Speed. 3 1/2 months in 80+ deg. Caribbean waters = no barnacles and very little crusty worm. When the boat sits for a week and a few of those pesky wormy things afix themselves to the blades, they come off with the wipe of a hand. The unprotected Dynaplate 8" behind the prop is covered with all sorts of crap.

The stuff works. I guess the question is do you want to pay for something that works as well as diving on the boat every week or so? I bought the $240 small kit. I've gotten three prop applications from it. Why not see if you can find others in the yard who want to split the cost?

Warning: if you DIY-it, make sure you have two people available and follow the directions exactly. Also, as with most things -- half the battle is in the prep. Don't cut corners there.