SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   antifouling for a bronze propeller (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/31975-antifouling-bronze-propeller.html)

gramsailor 05-01-2007 08:35 PM

antifouling for a bronze propeller

has anyone had any luck with antifouling products for their bronze propeller.
i see there are some products advertized online but i could not find any reviews

brak 05-01-2007 08:57 PM

I just sprayed mine with zinc paint (the kind sold at WM, i think this one was officially a "transducer paint"). Of course the boat isn't in the water yet so what the results might be I am not sure. My yard neighbors use it all the time, though.

RichH 05-01-2007 10:55 PM

Petit Spray-on Zinc Barnacle Barrier seems to work well vs. barnacles.

Fstbttms 05-01-2007 11:39 PM

While a bit spendy, "Prop Speed" apparently works wonders.

West Marine: PropSpeed Product Display

ollie820 05-02-2007 01:31 PM

I am applying anhydrous lanolin, Lanocote from Forespar, to the prop this season as a test. I have read several articles that claim it is effective. It is a sticky wax like substance made from sheep fur. It is supposed to be resistant to salt water.

hellosailor 05-02-2007 01:42 PM

Ollie, the rumours about sheep grease have been on the web for years now. If it really worked, we'd have all been using it for the past five years. It has it's purposes, but protecting props ain't one of them.

ollie820 05-02-2007 09:19 PM

Ok. I know it is a little like snake oil but I thought I would give it a try. I will be back in a couple of months to report the results. If anything the smell should keep something away. Stay tuned.

sailingdog 05-02-2007 10:30 PM

I've heard that it can work to protect underwater gear, but have never tried it... no need to, since my boat is powered by an outboard, and I can raise it up out of the water completely... :D

JimsCAL 05-23-2007 07:43 PM

I have been painting my bronze folding prop with bottom paint for 20 years. I just use whatever I am using on the bottom. Works fine.

myerjoe 05-28-2007 11:58 AM

Ollie:

It's probably too late to warn you, but I smeared anhydrous lanolin on my prop last year (I keep my boat on a mooring in Buzzards Bay).

When I hauled at the end of the season, I had more barnacles than ever before. In previous years, I just polished the prop and waxed it several times; still had barnacles at the end of the season.

This year I tried something new: I scrubbed off the barnacles and some dark crud (perhaps the residue from the lanolin?).

Then I sprayed an Interlux zinc-based primer onto the prop (masking off the shaft and the zinc).

I followed that by three heavy coats of Interlux's antifouling for metal boats.

The antifouling is ablative, so I'm not too optimistic about the result. However, I couldn't bring myself to spring $200 for the PropSpeed kit, even though it would last me several years.

I'll try to remember to report on this at the end of the season.