Not a Member? 
Old 05-04-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
boomkicker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Most boomkickers and rigid vangs specifically state that they are not designed to support the weight of the boom for long periods of time. Several I looked at even say that if the boom is to be left for a long period of time, the topping lift should be used to support it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-04-2007
Helms ALee!

probably true saildog, however, it's a 21 foot boat, I bet it would work ok. Heck, coffee cups even come with legal warning stickers nowdays.

Besides, he can just use the main halyard to support the boom when he's not sailing, right? That would take care of the 'long period of time' portion of the warning.
Old 05-04-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenuki
probably true saildog, however, it's a 21 foot boat, I bet it would work ok. Heck, coffee cups even come with legal warning stickers nowdays.

Besides, he can just use the main halyard to support the boom when he's not sailing, right? That would take care of the 'long period of time' portion of the warning.
Very true, and it would prevent the halyard from slapping against the mast.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 05-04-2007
Helms ALee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Very true, and it would prevent the halyard from slapping against the mast.
Oh man, the sailboat one slip down from me has all externally run halyards, and all 6 of those lines (3x(up+down)) slap like angry white trash all day long. One of these days I'm gonna go over there with my rigging knife and bring peace to the marina...
Old 05-04-2007
Telstar 28

Tenuki-

soak the halyards in five minute epoxy... and then hoist and tighten...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 05-04-2007
2kt wind=trolling speed

goose327 is on a distinguished road
On my Venture there's a clamp gizmo(pet peeve for someone I'm sure)above the backstay bridle, it has a piece of 1/8 nylon line with a snap shackle. Works fine. The only problem was,,,,, the first time out I sailed around for a couple hours before I realized it should be unhooked while underway,,,DOH. She sails better when the boom can go from side to side.

Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?
Old 05-04-2007

Hawkwind is on a distinguished road
I like the sound of halyards ringing on the mast. It's like crickets in the woods or waves on the beach. If I think about it, I can hear it clearly and loudly but usually I hardly notice because it puts me at peace.

I still secure mine to be a good neighbor.
Those grand fresh-water seas of ours - Erie, and Ontario, and Huron, and Superior, and Michigan, - possess an ocean-like expansiveness...They contain round archipelagoes of romantic isles...they have heard the fleet thunderings of naval victories...they know what shipwrecks are, for out of sight of land, however inland, they have drowned full many a midnight ship with all its shrieking crew. --from Moby Dick
Old 05-04-2007
Swabbie

Neises is on a distinguished road
Talking

You guys are cracking jokes about 21-foot boats like some of us are dummies...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.