Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-30-2007

patrickbwells is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxo
Hi Patrick

Any luck with the rudder. Thats my boat Nolwandle being lifted out earlier this year. Can you give us some more info on your Cascade. Good to find another owner.

Regards

Max
Hi Maxo,
Sorry about that, I used your picture because I didnt have one of my own and I wanted to give others an idea of what I am working with. I read most of your blog on Nolwandle, sounds like you are getting a lot of pleasure out of that boat. The boat is currently in Olympia, Washington and will probably be moved to Seattle as a liveaboard by the end of the year. I have hull #106 and it is in pretty rough shape. It was a seizure that I bought at auction. It had been abandoned for some time, with water leaking into the cabin. Fortunately I got to it before major deck damage occurred, although I will be replacing one section and have done several resin injections into delaminated areas. I'll be painting the deck soon, and in about two months the hull. It has a great motor with only 31 hours on it. The boats previous name was "Sojourn" but I am going to name it "Zen" after the restore/refit is complete. I would like to have this boat capable of sailing down the West coast, through the Panama canal, and then North to the Caribbean. We will see.

Patrick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2007

Maxo is on a distinguished road
Hi Patrick

No problem about using the picture. One of the reasons that I started the blog was to try and get in contact with other Cascade 36 owners so we can share experiences.

Yes I am getting lots of enjoyment out of Nolwandle, just wish I had more time to use her.

I have not found any delamination in the deck, but there place where when I walk there is some creaking, but nothing that I have thought to be serious.

Regarding your rudder - I hope you have seen the picture of where my rudder was leaking water when I took it out? This concerned me alot, but a friend who is a surveyor came to have a look and assured me that there was probably no problem.

I had been intending to do something about a slight looseness of my rudder, which at high speed results in a vibration. I originally thought there were actually rudder bearings, but then after corresponding with other owners I realised that there is actually no bearing. Others have put a "nylon sock" over the stock. Have a look at http://edcleary.com/kaiulani/projects.html

I think when I next take Nolwandle out of the water I will probably do the same.

If you get a chance can you send some photos of your boat and the work that you have done on her.

Many regards

Max
Old 05-30-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I realize the OP has found a rudder, but, did it occur to call Cascade in Portland Or to see if a replacement rudder could be had? Then again, it might a problem as one person had, in that it was pricey, IIRC another zanshin had to fork out a small 5 figure amount for a rudder from Jeanneau including shipping...........

Just a thought.....

marty
Old 05-30-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
This may be a link you want to save.

Phil's Foils
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.