SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Courses on Engine & Electrical Repair

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·

Is there a short course available in the Mid-Atlantic or New England area on (1) electrical system diagnosis and maintenance and (2) diesel engine maintenance and simple repairs (preferably oriented toward Westerbeke)? I''m a 1977 Pearson 35 owner interested in doing more of the work myself. Would settle for a good Internet or correspondance course if live training not available.

#2 ·

Can''t help with you with a course, but there is an excellent book on both subjects.

It is the "Boatowners Mechanical and
Electrical Manual" by Nigel Calder. It covers a lot of material, and I have found it most helpful.

Fairwinds,

Jim

#4 ·
Several companies, like Mack Boring do hold excellent courses on Diesel Engine repair/maintenance. The electrical diagnosis and trouble shooting courses are something you might find at the local vocational/technical school.

#5 · (Edited)
Check out the courses offered to US Sail & Power Squadron members. They offer an Engine Maintenance course. Description below is from their site:

Description of Course:
This course attempts to make the student more self-reliant afloat by teaching high level "how it works" concepts, and by giving special emphasis to trouble diagnosis, temporary remedies and safety measures. Both gasoline and diesel engines are covered, as are key engine subsystems, including: propulsion systems, cooling systems, fuel systems, lubricating systems, and power train systems. The course is open to all Squadron members. No prerequisites.

They also offer a course on Marine Electronics

Description of Course:
This course provides essential knowledge about your boat's electrical and electronic systems. Proper wiring, grounding, electrolysis control, and batteries and their maintenance are covered. Depth finders, marine radio telephones, radar, location systems such as GPS and loran. Advanced systems for electronic charting and navigation are also studied. Information is provided on FCC requirements for station licensing and operator permits for radio telephone. Open to all members. No prerequisites

#8 ·
daybreak - mack boring has a couple of courses coming up in mass - check their web site - i am not affliated but took a hard look at their course after a fellow cruiser told me he took it and thought it was extremely helpful -
my problem is the courses are not where i can put the boat in a slip for a couple of days and get to easily
still looking for a course
chuck and svsoulmates
ki4sry
on the hook for a few days in hampton,va

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.