Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-08-2007

sdbic is on a distinguished road
shaft packing

what is it, and what would you do if it was leaking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2007
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
Well, it should leak. It is a material, usually graphite impregnated fibre, that looks kind of like dirty string, that is wound around your prop shaft or rudder shaft and compressed by a cup shaped nut to allow a moving thing to seal out the water. If you have ever taken apart an old style faucet, from before there had o rings in them then you have seen it.
If it is leaking alot, you should tighten the gland, to compress the packing further so it only leaks a little, say one drop every few seconds or so. There will be some sort of lock that needs to be loosened and then you tighten by turning clockwise then redo the lock. If it can't be tightened or it doesn't slow the leak then it is easiest to replace then packing when the boat is hauled.
Hope that helps.
Old 05-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It depends... a properly packed gland should really not be leaking when the shaft is not turning. If yours is, then you need to tighten up on the packing gland nut a bit.

If that doesn't help, you will probably need to re-pack the gland. Traditional flax-based packing materials aren't as good as the newer Gore-tex based packing materials, which will leak less, and are lower maintenance. One of the guys on this site did a nice photograph laden walkthrough of the whole proces, which you can find if you do a search.

Edit: Found the link to the photo tutorial. LINK.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 05-08-2007 at 04:19 AM.
Old 05-08-2007
CatSailor from Oz

alanl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to alanl
Westmarine sell a good "dripless" packing that is inserted between inner and outer layers of traditional packing. It is actually very easy to use, the main trick being to get the old packing out completely first and for that you will need a special picking tool - available from most chandlers. The thermoplastic packing is simply moulded into shape and pressed into place, then the nut is done up fairly tight. Examination over a short period of running will soon tell if the nut tension needs to be increased. One tube of the packing will last several services
Old 05-08-2007
CatSailor from Oz

I read the tutorial after putting the last message onto this forum and while I respect the opinion of the author, I must disagree about the problems. I changed to the Westmarine product about two years ago, have repacked once since and have had no trouble whatever.
Old 05-09-2007

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
The trouble takes...

The problem takes some time to appear. Next time you haul check the inside of the male end of the shaft log between the shaft and a the bronze of the stuffing box. Mine became totally plugged with syntef grease and the thermoplastic residue. You still have traditional flax rings on either side of this stuff that DO need water to have lubricity. Just because the middle layer of goo sandwich is very slippery the front ring is NOT this is why they give you the grease as a band-aid.

My shaft was perfect when I installed this stuff, per manufacturers instructions, then, after running it dripless for about 60 hours, it had a score around the front ring due to NO water... Use at your own risk! I have anylized this stuff quite extensively and I stand by my claim that it is not safe for your shaft or your stufing box over the long haul! When your stuffing box becomes plugged and NO water at all gets past the black goo you'll finally understand....

If you must use a traditional type flax use Gore GFO!!!!

The picture below shows the black goo, caused by the WM "Mouldable Packing" and Syntef grease, that plugged my stuffing box!

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 05-09-2007
CatSailor from Oz

Point taken - I'll inspect the shaft more carefully next time.

Thanks for your advice

Alan
Old 05-10-2007

CellNav is on a distinguished road
My stuffing box is turning with the shaft (seized?). If I can free it I plan on replacing the hose and repacking. The Catalina drawing calls for 1 5/8 id. fiber reinforced hose. Where is a good source for hose? Also, if I have to replace the box is there a source for a box for a one inch shaft (Atomic-4)?

Thanks
Old 05-10-2007

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Call Catalina..

They can sell you a new stuffing box with the hose for your 1 5/8 stern tube..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.