Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-09-2002

tsv is on a distinguished road
tired of cleaning my teak

I have heard claims from a company that sells Bristol finish that you put a couple coats of their varnish on and you wont ahve to do your teak for a few years to follow. This will cost a pretty penny but it may be good to look into. I think the ad for bristol finish was in crusing world or something.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2002
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough

I''ve had VERY mixed results with Bristol Finish. First of all, you have to put on 6 coats, and the stuff costs $50 a quart. So I put it on all my exterior teak last spring and by September it was starting to come up at the hard edges (meaning the 90 degree bends) on my toe rails. I got about 3 months of wear out of it instead of the 3 years as advertised.

I called them up just to see if they sell a touch up kit (nope!) and was told that the laws of physics dictate that you can''t get as much of the product on an edge as you can on a flat surface. In other words, you have to put mucho many more coats on edges.

I bit the bullit and bought another quart and put two more coats on everything and used a small craft brush to put another two coats just on the edges (as best I could.) Bristiol Finish looks great, it stays shiny, but you have to be careful to build up enough coats on edges. It works great on flat surfaces though! The instructions need to go into that.

Old 02-10-2002

evecircleM is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it. Eve
Old 02-12-2002

VIEXILE is on a distinguished road

Cetol. Period. My boat goes two years (uncovered) between refinishes, then sand with 80 or 100 grit and recoat. Keep stirring the stuff or it WILL obscure the grain when you get to the bottom of the pot. I use satin finish and 3 coats stands up nicely. You can lightly sand and recoat annually (2 coats) and it seems to work well. Haven''t stripped it completely since 1995. Tried it on the cabin sole, too. Tough stuff. The Hinckley book tells you how to maintain a boat in "Hinckley" condition, which means between $15,000 and $20,000 a year in maintenance expense. That''s what they get for a Bermuda 40, since you CANNOT do ANYTHING on your own boat in a Hinckley yard (Maine, Rhode Island, Florida). Nice looking, but asinine if you make less than $900,000.00 a year. That''s the trouble with selling out a family business to a mega-corporation.
Old 02-12-2002

DARE-Oriental is on a distinguished road

We bought some stuff at Annapolis show a couple of yrs ago called Capt Ann''s Teak Fix. It looks good for a yr. (which after many yrs of oil that lasts 30 days seems great) It is not as orange as Cetol, but not as pretty as oil. It comes from Gloucester MA and I''m planning to order more. Has anyone else tried it?
Old 02-12-2002

Snap is on a distinguished road

See what I told you evecircleM...a never-ending debate, much like what''s the best anchor.

Two days ago one of the Royal palms in our back yard fell into one of our outdoor pools causing extensive damage. It happened to be the pool nearest the seawall and the palm then rolled out of the pool and tore down almost 100 feet of the seawall before it came to rest up against our Picnic. That wasn''t so bad except that the Picnic was slammed against our Talaria which took out the east 200 feet of dock. Then, on top of that, one of our maids came running out of the house nearest the upper pool and said that one of our kids just hit a neighbor''s Benz with his new Lamborghini. Now, worse than all that, Viexile, who seems to have some inside information, lets slip that I am soon to have my yearly income cut to less than $900.000.00. Maybe if I switch from Z-Spar to Cetol I''ll save enough so that I can break the Silver Cloud out from storage and I can stop riding around in this tiny S-Type.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose to apply to your teak. I can assure you that regardless of your choice, it''ll be the worst in someone''s eyes.

Snap
Old 02-13-2002

rrbryce is on a distinguished road

hehe!!

as a Hinckley owner (49 ft center cockpit) and also have three benzes in the garage, an sl roadster, an s class sedan and the m class, but no pool (lakefront though) and no rolls, (but my own plane), I find your post to be a bit too close to home, but still funny!!!

bob
Old 02-14-2002

Got a free Hinckley hat from one of the boys when I was in SW Harbor a couple weeks ago. Good to be back in the Caribbean, given the 8 degree temp. when I was pulling the standing rigging off my mast, AFTER chipping away 3" of ice coating. Hinckleys are nice boats. I thoroughly enjoy watching the newbies with their $500,000 to $1.2 mil Picnics playing with the joystick and slamming the dock at Great Harbor Marina. Does my blue-collar, white trash heart good. Now Hinckley "corporation" (a subsidiary of some such mega-corp) is suing anyone that builds a boat that remotely looks like a Maine lobster boat. Design infringement - and they''ve got the money to put people out of business. O.K. if there''s truth, but these guys are likely also trying to limit or eliminate market competition. Thing is, when I called the "new" Hinckley yard in Stuart FL about having my Bristol trucked down and bottom painting & putting on the furling gear I was informed, rather snootily, that I couldn''t do ANY work on my own boat, including touching up the brightwork. Give me a break.
Old 02-14-2002

Snap is on a distinguished road

Viexile,

Me thinketh thou doth protesteth too much. Self-deflagration amongst a Bristol driver?; treaherous stuff that, to burn oneself so with the ignominious classification of "white trash" while unabashedly tweaking Hinckley''s nose. Ouch!

What Bristol do you have? I know they are adorned with georgeous teak toe-rails etc. and I cannot imagine a Bristol owner ruining the beauty of a Bristol with any teak treatment that was not up to snuff. You have really piqued my curiosity and perhaps I have been hiding my head in the sand for too long in re the use of Cetol vs. varnish for exterior teak. Do you happen to have close-up pics posted somewhere on the net where I can see how your Cetol looks? Can''t believe I''m weakening but, d#@%, I do spend a horrendous amount of time doing the varnish thing. Never considered using satin outside but that does sound nice. I''d sure like to see how a properly applied Cetol finish really looks.

As for the lawsuits you mentioned it sounds like Hinckley may be going the way of Harley-Davidson - possibly the dark side of capitalism; we''ll see I suppose.

I certainly agree with you that I wouldn''t take my boat into a yard where I wasn''t allowed to do what I wanted to her while she was there. All of the yards I''ve used in Florida have allowed me to putz around while she was on the hard, just told me to use caution. I think the yard folks were somewhat amused that I could actually get my crusty old body into the bilge with the best of them and I''ve always enjoyed doing a lot of my own work along side the workers I''ve hired.

BTW, how did you talk Hinckley out of a hat? They never gave me one.

Snap
Old 02-14-2002

Sorry. The "Hinckley" attitude is well recognized in the nether regions of Mt. Desert Island, Maine. I was sitting in the pub at Great Harbor Marina in January with the usual suspects (divers, fishermen) after a day of hanging out with a friend who brokers their catches of pickles, bugs and pin-cushions (sea cucumbers, lobsters and urchins). Some clean-cut kid walked into the pub about 11:00 at night. I, in my self-induced Island stupor, said "stop . . . you MUST be a Hinckley employee . . . fetcheth me a hat . . ." and, without a word, he disappeared in the direction of Manset, returning awhile later with the new lid. My ''72 Bristol 35 Yawl photos aren''t online, and I don''t have a scanner. The satin cetol finish seems to take the weather better, showing less imperfection if whacked, scratched or abraded. The stripping process for the old varnish was lengthy and a pain, done correctly only with an assortment of sharp scrapers and constant filing to keep them sharp. Need to avoid taking too much wood. Maybe I''m used to the look, but I like it. I do recall thinking how orangie it looked at first, particularly the first coat, but it darkened down some and, again, maybe I''m used to it. It certainly simplifies things and recoats nicely after a quick rubdown with 80#. It does tend to crumble off if you don''t redo it after a couple of years, but, again, I don''t cover the boat. I''ll admit Hinckley''s charter fleet and the numerous Picnics on the dock at Great Harbor Marina look gorgeous with umpteen coats of varnish on ''em, but I''d druther sail than sand and varnish and varnish and varnish and varnish.