Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-13-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Question Flushing Raw Water system? Barnacle Buster

Because taking off my heat exchanger requires the removal of the exhaust manifold (dont ask)...PITA!!! I found this product from TRAC Ecological Marine Products. It is also featured in this issue of Practical Sailor.

TRAC Ecological Marine Products

Has anyone used this product and what were your results? Did you use a recirculating unit or just let it sit?

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 05-17-2007 at 12:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2007

I have purchased it so we'll see how it does.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 05-17-2007

RichH will become famous soon enough
Ive use similar organic acid commercial boiler descalers both in industry and on my boat with excellent results. Other products were: Marsolve & Rydlyme.
Such descalers will easily remove the scale but not the base metal ... important since it will not remove the protective (blue/black) ferrous oxide coatings that form on cast iron, etc. Inorganic acids (Muriatic, etc.) will dissolve those ferrous layers and promote the destructive ferric (red) rust.

I find all of these products invaluable especially in descaling exhaust manifolds where the deposition of calcium carbonate to be the 'worst' in a marine engine ... and since it doesnt attack the base metal, retards the eventual manifold 'pinholes' that one gets when using Muriatic, etc. .

Small volume recirculation will insure complete scale removal, especially in those areas that have a high buildup .... preferred; but; is not absolutely necessary.
Old 05-17-2007

Thanks RichH,

So the alternative to recirculating is to follow similar procedure as if you were winterizing...correct?

I don't want to purchase a recirculating system, but may try making my own from an old water pump left on the boat...should work?

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 05-17-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
T37,

How did it work??

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-17-2007

Haven't done it yet...hopefully this weekend

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 05-17-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I spoke with a local marina at the Strickly Sail Show in Philly about a simular thing. They offered a service where they flushed diesel engines with a product just like this one. They claimed that after flushing your diesel it should run a good deal cooler. I plan on making an appointment with them later this summer.
Old 05-17-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
The MSDS says it is phosphoric acid. The active ingredient in Naval Jelly and most common rust removers, among other things. "Organic" as in "organic chemistry" not "organic foods".

Well, sure, that ought to work. Probably can buy phosphoric acid in some hardware or masonry supplies, too.
Old 05-17-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Hello,

Quit gettin' technical. Caant a guy make a buck??

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-17-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
CD, I'm all for anyone making a buck any way they can.

I just have no tolerance for the newfangled "We're gonna make our money by MARKETING!!" business. Kids who think they need to drink bottled water from school vending machines...because the water fountain is too declasse?

Nah, not for me. Hey, if they are selling the stuff for the same price as phosphoric acid--I'm all in favor of it. Other than that......