SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   ray marine vs furuno (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/3249-ray-marine-vs-furuno.html)

kimberlite 02-05-2002 12:45 PM

ray marine vs furuno

does anyone have first hand experience with regard to furuno chart plotter vs a ray marine (raytheon) chart plotter. and which one is better?
thanks
eric

SHIMSHON 02-05-2002 02:41 PM

ray marine vs furuno

Furuno is an excellent unit however it tends to take a while to get used too--in other words it is not user friendly whereas Raytheon is easier to use and is more intuitive. Furuno has more bells and whistles and probably has a much greater appeal amongst professional mariners. I spent a lot of time comparing the units and talking to both installers and users. For the money (maybe a tad more) you can''t go wrong with a Northstar unit. I also considered the new Garmin 2010 which has a very large 10'' screen and is in color and is probably the best buy on the market today. The only problem is that they use a proprietary charting product so you can''t use any of the other modules ieNavionics etc. so you are sort of stuck but it is an amazing chartplotter. At the high end there is always Trimble which has been in the GPS business since the beginning and makes probably the finest chart plotter available but your looking at an $8-10,000 unit depending on the bells and whistles.Good luck with your search--might also try some of the back issues of Practicle Sailor to see their comments which are usually on the money.

kimberlite 02-05-2002 02:51 PM

ray marine vs furuno

shimshon.
my choice is between furuno and raymarine.
which unit do you have?
eric

SHIMSHON 02-06-2002 06:43 AM

ray marine vs furuno

I actually went with the Northstar 952 XDW color chartplotter with WAAS. I found the resoulution and definition to be superior to both the Furuno and Raymarine. In addition it was much more user frienly and much quicker in acquiring a position. I also like the point and shoot feature which allows you to scroll out to some object or point you see on the horizon and it will identify itfrom its bulit in Light List (which can be updated), give you its position, course to steer, distance and ETA.The trade off is in price-- with the Northstar being sold for aprox.$3400

kimberlite 02-06-2002 03:52 PM

ray marine vs furuno

i guess i asked the wrong question. i was actually looking for a comparison between the furuno and the ray marine (raytheon)
chart plotter radar.
anyone have info on this?
eric

nhsail 02-17-2002 02:06 PM

ray marine vs furuno

I have the Raymarine RL74RC, had the RL72RC on earlier boat. This unit is easy to use, gives reliable operation on my Bermuda 40 and works with the CMAP chart cartridges.

Only downside I See is that depending on the scale of the CMap cartridge, you might have some zooms that are hard to resolve on a small 7" monochrome screen