Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-14-2007
AHOY!

rireefguy is on a distinguished road
Cajun Rigging

Has anyone tired the cajun rigging/lines that they sell on ebay?

eBay Motors: Running Rigging - Pearson 26 DELIVERED - Cajun (item 4621000805 end time Jun-03-07 20:03:19 PDT)

Looks like a pretty good deal, but I wonder if anyone has any first hand experience. Is an "no name" brand something to stay away from?

Bob
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I haven't used them personally, but the general feedback I've seen about them has always been positive. If you search on Sailnet for threads about new rigging, you'll see that they're generally highly recommended.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-14-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
Cajun Trading Company, commercial and pleasure marine cordage rope products, Boating and Yachting Supplies, running rigging kits

darn good stuff... have used them for years, very comparable to sta-set, and XLS.

the "sprectra" they sell is top notch, and...ummm, cheap!

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 05-14-2007

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
I buy all my...

I buy all my running rigging form Cajun Trading as well as my anchor line. I didn't know he also sold stuff on eBay but can't imagine it could posibly be less money... Great lines for short money!!

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 05-15-2007

geary126 is on a distinguished road
Hey, guys. I need some new sheets, main and jib. Currently, on my Cat 30, I have 7/16 on the jib, and perhaps 5/16 on the main. The halyard (main) is line to wire, perhaps 1/2". I can leave that one for now.

Practical Sailor suggests, for we cheapskates, that one could get away with a giantic roll (600') of Samson LS.

any thoughts?

Also, not to muddy the waters, but need some dock line suggestions.

Merci.
Old 05-15-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Geary-

You could...but then you'd have to do all the splicing and whipping yourself and you'd have a hell of a time trying to differentiate between the different lines for new crew... I like to have the lines color coded to some degree... it is often easier to yell, "let go of that green line" than to try and name the line by function, which if they're led back to the cockpit will not be obvious.

Cajun Rigging sells Rigging Kits, which are bundles with all the ropes you need for a given boat. You can add or subtract from these as needed... and they're at a fair discount... I'm asking them to put together a rigging kit for my boat.

As for docklines... you want nylon...and if you tie up to wooden pilings, you want three-strand, which stands up to rough pilings better than double braided lines generally do. The rough splinters on a wooden piling can pick out the strands in a double-braid, but generally don't bother a three-strand rope much.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-15-2007
Junior Senior

heinzir is on a distinguished road
Pricing is great, service is great, but I'm not so sure about the lines themselves. I ordered new halyards (5/16" double braid) for my 23' trailer-sailer a couple of years ago. The boat has no winches; all tensioning is by hand. Within a couple of months the cores had pulled out of the eyesplices. Cajun was very good about it and sent me free replacement halyards immediately, this time with a more secure whipping at the throat of the splice. The splices have held up ok, but the covers of the lines seem to be too loosely woven. The core tends to poke through (herniate) if I get hockles. Also, the stretch seems excessive; I can see the lines visibly stretching when hand tightening.

I found some 1/4" Crystalyne line (Spectra blend) on clearance at APS and some XLS Extra on clearance at Defender that I will be replacing the Cajun halyards and control lines with this summer. I know it is way overkill for a trailer-sailer that has no halyard winches and is not raced but the clearance price was so cheap I couldn't pass it up!

Henry
Chiquita
Old 05-15-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
These folks have some great products and prices for the do-it-yourselfers.
eBay Store - Discount Rope and Line: Industrial, Arborists Lines, Marine