Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-14-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Wondering about where to put propane sensors...

So I've decided to throw caution to the winds and stick with a propane stove. Bought a new control system with two propane leak sensors. Sensors aren't the greatest looking things in the world, so would like to put them in an unobstrusive place.

The propane locker on the boat is aft center, and properly vented overboard. One of the sensors is going to go in the cockpit locker underneath, and near the propane locker, and I am thinking that the best place for the second one is near the stove in the galley area. I want to put it under and almost behind the stove, in the molded-in recess, but I am not sure if that will be effective if gas starts spewing out of the oven, as it will leak forward - not aft towards the sensor.

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with this. I'm a propane newbie and the stuff makes me a bit nervous....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sailormann-

I would put it forward, away from the stove. Some gas leaks are inevitable, since there are times you won't burn all the gas when lighting it... what you want is the sensor to tell you if the propane is gathering in the cabin... placing it near the stove is going to give you a lot of false alarms... since LPG is kind of going to be present, in at least some small quantities, right near the stove. Putting the sensor down low, near the front of the cabin will warn you if the levels in the boat are becoming a danger...and IMHO be far more useful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 05-15-2007 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-14-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Surely your sensors should simply go in the lowest part of the bilge ? Propane, is heavier than air so any significant amount will settle in the bilge.

To my mind the most important part of any gas installation is the line switching. Most people use a Solonoid, switch activated from the cabin, but I hear too many folk complaining about solonoid failure.

When we went gas we ignored the fitting of a solanoid and simply put a pressure gauge on the line. This gauge is visible from the companionway hatch. If it falls below a certain level you know you have a leak. Bottles are turned on and off at the bottles themselves. Yes that is inconvenient but it's a small price to pay as far as we are concerned. Turn bottles on when you start to prepare a meal, turn off at end, safe as safe can be.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-15-2007
Here .. Pull this

Appreciate the input from both of you. I am thinking that there might be something to the false alarm thing but we don't have a lot of things to mount on. The galley is made up of a lot of individual components that fit together with spaces of about 1/2 to 1/4 inch between them - basically inaccessible

The bilges on the boat are the shallowest I have ever seen - the deepest part of the bilge is right in the center of the cabin, and it is 4 inches deep, so there is not enough space to put a sensor, as they cannot get wet.

So I guess I'll go a little further from the stove and maybe stick it inside the locker under the sink - about 6" up from the hull.

Does anyone know how much propane it takes to blow up a boat ??? (seriously)...
Old 05-15-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sailormann-

I don't think it should be in the bilge... but in the cabin, mounted on a a bulkhead or such forward, near the mast. My bilge is probably a bit shallower than yours, being two inches deep or so...

A 1 lb. tank, like you would use for a camping stove or propane torch is plenty of fuel to blow up a boat. The explosive concentrations of propane range from 2.4-9.5% of the atmosphere by volume IIRC. If your cabin has a volume of 600 cubic feet, you'd only need 14.4 cubic feet of propane to make it explosive. Also, fuel-air mixtures are capable of the largest, most powerful explosions after nuclear weapons... the US has used their largest FAE bombs to clear entire minefields...

The amount of butane contained in a cigarette lighter re-fueling canister (2.5 oz.) is more than enough to be dangerous.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-15-2007
Here .. Pull this

Well ... I am going to have to be VERY careful with this propane stuff - weird - have been on lots of boats that have it, never given it a second thought. Never known or even met anyone who has had a problem with it, but now that it's MY boat - I am concerned...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.