Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-16-2008
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
Pictures would be great! I'm trying to decide what to do with my ice box drain, and this may be the perfect solution.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2008

davmarwood is on a distinguished road
Mermaid Condensator

I just purchased a Mermaid Condensator (see web address on HerbDB's post). With shipping it cost about $200 which I was willing to pay because of complaints from the Admiral about how the moldy smell from the wet bilge affected her sinuses.
It took about 1hr.15min. to install on our Beneteau 352. It is heavily made out of machined bronze and appears to be built to last as long as the boat. I installed it in the discharge line from the AC cooling water near the spot where it drains out of the hull (the instructions make it clear it must be installed ABOVE the waterline), and ran the suction line back to the condensate catch pan. It works like a charm, totally silent, and I now have a dry bilge with no mold to grow and create odor. This keeps the Admiral happy.
I am not affiliated in any way with the company which manufactures and sells this item. I highly recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind the cost. If cost is a factor, perhaps the plastic one mentioned in an earlier post would be the answer.
Old 08-26-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Can't you just have it drain to the sink in the head?
Old 08-26-2008

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
I've been using the venturi nozzle that came with my son's water bed fill/empty kit for years to suck the pan water out with the cooling water discharge. $15 retail if bought separately and is equivalent to the $200 'condensator". No moving parts so nothing to go wrong which begs the rhetorical question why pay top dollar for no value added.

I'd have run it to a sink drain had the elevation allowed but suspect this is the limiting factor for many folks.
Old 09-02-2008

davmarwood is on a distinguished road
k1vsk is correct. The condensate pan in our boat sits about 1 inch above the sole. The sink in the head is approx. 30 inches above the sole. The only options are to let it drain into the bilge and pump it out occasionally when the level gets high enough to activate the automatic bilge pump, or to suck it out with a venturi device.
Also, in our boat, the gravity drain to the bilge was unreliable and only drained about 1/2 of the water in the condensate pan, and even then, only when the pan was almost full enough to overflow. When we left the dock and went sailing, the heeling of the boat drained the rest of the water all over the inside of the cabinet and it leaked out around the joint between the cabinet and the sole, leaving puddles on the surface of the sole. The admiral was not amused by this.
So, venturi device was the way to go.
Old 09-03-2008

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Another less expensive option would be to use a "fertilizer injector" from Mazzei. Mazzei Injector Corporation - Fertilizer and Chemical Injection, Wastewater Aeration, Ozone Systems These are often used in hot tubs and aquariums and can sometimes be found on E-bay.

Folks on the C36 site have experimented with the 484X, 584 and 684. According to the postings on C36, the 484X worked but resulted in some loss of cooling due to reduced water flow. Replacing it with the 684 solved the problem. Apparently the fellow that used a 584 was happy as well.

I'm considering installing either the 684 or 584 over this winter.
Old 10-17-2008
Beneteau 440

gilsurf is on a distinguished road
I tried the Mermaid but had issues with water flow. I have a 12K BTU with a March LC-3 pump. The Mermain Condensator seemed to decrease the flow quite a bit and thus I had issues with cooling the old AC unit.

And then I found the simple answer: Tom Aquatics Aqua LifteróDosing Pump. It can lift up to 30 inches and sucks my drain pan dry. My issue is that I can not even drain to the bilge due to a rise in the tubing path. This at least gets it to the bilge. And all for $15!

Old 07-16-2012

Zuzack.Tom is on a distinguished road
Re: AC condensate drainage

Gilsurf, do you run the Aqua Lifter Dosing Pump continuously or have it wired to run only when the raw water pump kicks in?
Old 07-16-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzack.Tom View Post
Gilsurf, do you run the Aqua Lifter Dosing Pump continuously or have it wired to run only when the raw water pump kicks in?

This is a 4 year old post. Gilsurf hasn't posted in almost 2 years.
Old 10-29-2012

coxjam is on a distinguished road

I have a generic question about these venturi devices. Do you just lay the tubing in the bottom of the condensation pan? My pan has two drain ports that have a 5/8 in ID hose that fits over it that runs to the bilge ( I don't have a sump pump in my boat). I'm reluctant to block the