Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-15-2007

geary126 is on a distinguished road
Wiring GPS: pedestal or pedestal guard?

Hey, at the risk of overstaying my stupid question quotient (sqq), I'm going to add the Garmin on a homemade NavPod, connected to the pedestal guard.

Would you guys suggest running wires into the guard...or over the the pedestal?

If into the guard, does this require drilling a hole in the cockpit sole, with adverse consequences?

Merci, as always.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I would go up Thur the pedestal. Where your other wires are run. Be sure to twist your wires to cut down on interference with your compass.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Wiring it through the pedestal guard minimizes the chances that you'll snag the wiring and accidentally rip it out.

Most likely, you won't have to drill any holes, since there's a pretty good chance that the wiring for other things already passes through the pedestal guard. You do want to twist the wires to minimize the interference with your compass and check to see that it doesn't cause your compass to alter its readings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-16-2007
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
What do you all mean by "twisting" the wires?
Old 05-16-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I mean don't run the wires straight up the pedestal. Interwind or twist the wires.
Old 05-16-2007

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Will the wires fit?

Hello,

I am trying to neatly install and run the wires for Lowrance GPS / SONAR unit. The problem is that the SONAR plug is big, about 1", and you can't cut the plug off, run the wire, and splice the plug back on.

The SONAR plug is too big to fit in the pedestal, and may even be too big to fit in the pedestal guard. From checking the web I see that Edson and Navpod make bigger pedestal guards - 1 1/8" that I may have to buy. Of course, the new guards are expensive - $200 - $300 depending on which one you buy. And then you need a navpod or someother way of mounting the unit. It ends up costing more to run and mount the unit than it did to buy it!!

Old 05-16-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Barry,

Same thing with solar panels. I think my arch costs more than the panels and charge controller added together!!!!

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-16-2007

geary126 is on a distinguished road
I've got big plugs on the Garmin cables, too. Oh, boy.
Old 05-16-2007
can't re Member

captlar is on a distinguished road
Those units are not made for ped install and you are correct about not cutting. Warranty goes away ! You can bulkhead mount and fish wires or get different unit if what you have is returnable. Raymarine will work. Then your unit will cost more than the install but both will be higher. Even if you run wires external on ped with mucho zip ties, you will still end up drilling big hole in cockpit. Another option is sounder in bulkhead and portable GPS with 12v charger jack @ ped.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo
Old 05-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Some of the Garmins come with plain wire on one end of the cable... so you can probably get wiring with just the plugs on one end from Garmin... and then can run the wires through the pedastal guard.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.