Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-17-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
But I got started with cheap raingear and it served a purpose, it was better than nothing. Then one day after some storms, my friend and I were sitting in a deli letting our laundry dry, ignoring the really funny huge puddle forming around us, and I decided "cold + wet = miserable" and went after some real foul wx gear. But, until and unless you are making that expensive committment to sailing....the cheap stuff will often have to do.
LOL... I became a believer in good foul weather gear from my skiiing days. A cold day up at Sugarloaf Mountain one Christmas week, it was freezing rain and sleet... I had a Patagonia jacket and goretex lined ski pants and gloves... back when Gore-tex was pretty new and unknown 22 years ago or so. When we came into the lodge, my twin brother and our friend both were wringing the rain and water out of their clothes... I just took mine and shook... and I was bone dry again...

It is an expensive committment to buy quality sailing foul weather gear... and most of it isn't really stylish enough to use many other places...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"and most of it isn't really stylish enough to use many other places..."
Yeah, but if you buy an orange wand flashlight, you can have LOADS of fun around airports and directing traffic.
They'll do ANYTHING for a guy in a bright yellow suit with a wand.
Old 05-17-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
"and most of it isn't really stylish enough to use many other places..."
Yeah, but if you buy an orange wand flashlight, you can have LOADS of fun around airports and directing traffic.
They'll do ANYTHING for a guy in a bright yellow suit with a wand.

Lol, the man speaks the truth !!
Old 05-17-2007
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Boating year round in Puget Sound and BC you get pretty familiar with rain and cold. I've had expensive "sailing" foul weather gear, and being an ex-climber I've had expensive "climbing" parkas and bibs. I've concluded, and now use, commercial fishing foul weather gear. Grundens and Helly Hansen make great gear, with neoprene cuffs, and it's tough as nails. No, it's not gore-tex(it's usually cold enough that I don't sweat) and it doesn't have fleece collars and pockets(that get soaked and freeze up and rub your skin off), but you stay dry and no wind get's through, and it's roomy enough that you can bend over and kneel down without feeling like someone is trying to do the Heimlich manuever on you. A coat with attached hood and a pair of bibs and a pair of X-traTuff neoprene boots and I'm ready for anything. Don't plan on winning any fashion contests though:-))

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 05-17-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
This topic as been discussed to exhaustion in another thread already...but have fun anyway

Foul weather gear

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 05-17-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I will sum up the other thread:

Don't be cheap and get the good, marine stuff. Must be breathable. There is a difference... lots of them.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-17-2007

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy
Motorcycle raingear, however, would not be a substitute for Sailing raingear. It has none of the above features, is much lighter, more "rubbery," and baggier (meant to be worn over leathers) than Sailing raingear.
Didn't mean to imply that motorcycle raingear should be your choice for a boat. I only wished to make the point that for a few hours of occasional use, in moderate temperatures, for a relatively sedentary activity like sailing, (not talking about Fastnet Force 10) that non breathable gear like the one the poster asked about could suffice for daysailing as the post stated the use would be.

For longer periods, going further offshore or racing where you likely will be crawling/scooting/sliding on your butt or knees I agree that you'd be better off going for quality purpose built gear.
Old 05-17-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef
This topic as been discussed to exhaustion in another thread already...but have fun anyway

Foul weather gear
LOL!
So have anchors and that topic gets rehashed every 24 hours or so.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 05-18-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Next you guys will be discussing styles of skirts.
Old 05-18-2007
Senior Moment

RickBowman is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats the beauty of a pilothouse with an inside helm. It's a temperature/moisture controlled environment. Reaching through a blizzard or tacking through rain makes no difference. The window wiper works in either, eh Blue? Once I had to go out to shake a reef out of the main and I gave that deck hand hell for taking so much time in the head, but she does make one mean omelete.

Last edited by RickBowman; 05-18-2007 at 09:36 AM.