Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-18-2007

geary126 is on a distinguished road
the Best of Gear & Maintenance?

I had an idea this AM: there's a helluva lot of good content here...but much of it gets buried a) in an old thread or b) is slightly off topic, thus gets over looked.

Sailing Dog, for example, wrote a great Lazy Jacks tutorial on my thread related to my blown out Main.

What if we created / had someone create the BEST OF GEAR & MAINTANANCE section, and then a few of us who are in the know (that's you guys) or helpful (professional writer, thus I could help edit) post Best of Material there?

Perhaps we post clippings somewhere...have people vote on top submission...it gets prominent spot in this BOGAM section.

For example, I know in my limited time here, the Marine Stereo question has been answered definitively, by Cam (with some meager contributions from yours truly). Varnishing tips, also.

Posting them somewhere permanently, in an obvious spot, might cut down on the redundant queries. Not that I mind helping newbies (and I ask as many questions as anyone).

Also, the fact is, the search tool doesn't always pick up the best material.

Just a thought. tom
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Well, it is not a bad thought Tom. Problem is that gear is constantly changing. Let's see... best of gear and worst of gear:

Best of gear: Raymarine E80 dual helm CP with Radar overlay. The radar is not a must have but has sure saved my butt. Another best gear that I have been EXTREMELY pleased with is my Kyocera 130 panels and Outback MX60. TOp notch. My Prosine 2.0 Inverter/charger is awesome (but an absolutel bear to put in).

Worst of Gear: Bloody fenders with the little built in finger pumps. Read my words very carefully: YOU AIN'T GOT ENOUGH YEARS LEFT IN YOUR LIFE TO PUMP UP A 2 1/2 FOOT TALL FENDER WITH A FINGER PUMP. YOU CAN FART WITH MORE VOLUME. I also am not real pleased with my Raymarine VHF with seperate speaker and mic. Damn shame too because they are the MOST expensive by far. Best one I have had is Standard Horizon, as I recall.

Oh well, live and learn.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-18-2007

equitiman is on a distinguished road
In principle I agree that this idea would be nice...however I don't think there will ever be a consensus about what is the "best gear" since such a concept varies based on different peoples needs, preferences, and pocketbooks.

Perfect example...would someone please tell me what the best anchor is?
Old 05-18-2007

geary126 is on a distinguished road
I think you guys are misunderstanding me, somewhat. What I meant was, best POSTS from the Forum... not necessarily, the best Gear.

For example, Dad, we chop together notes from Marine Stereo...or SailingDogs How to Make Your Own Lazy Jacks story.

Or, how to refinish wood. How to crimp (not solder) wires.

More the How To stuff, than the What to Buy stuff, as the latter is like peace in the Middle East (impossible to get consensus)
Old 05-18-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Ahhh, oh, I see... I missunderstood:

Well, just pull up all the posts I have written. Those are the best threads. You can discount all the others as they just copy me (smile).

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-19-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Good idea. Sometimes it's the best explanation that leads to the best USE of gear, not the best gear. You can see this logic in any thread involving anchoring, for instance. I'll bet that Don Street or Hal Roth can get a CQR or even a Bruce to hold in most conditions, even if they are "outdated" or "inferior/disappointing" anchors these days. But this just underlines the fact that it's not what you are using sometimes as how you use it that makes the difference. Radar, GPS and the new AIS technologies are other examples of how "greatest" isn't always "best"...and sometimes, how gear can get you in deep trouble if you aren't entirely clear on how to use it.
Old 05-19-2007
Senior Moment

RickBowman is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah like the post about a guy that was considering using a flare gun with a shotgun load to take care of the bad guys. Arg.