Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-20-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
The parra anchor is just that an anchor, it is a last resort when all else fails.
I have only used it once and was greatfull for the rest it gave us there seened to be little if any shock loading as the rode was 1" white polypropoline ( I think that was what it was ) the whole thing fitted in to a easy to store bag. No where near the size of the JSD bulk, and I feel that would be the only down side of the JSD. There is a number of drogues on the market that take up less room, just my opinion.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2007
CosmosMariner

CosmosMariner is on a distinguished road
Simon, 1" is pretty big, what size boat were you on?
Old 05-20-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV
The parra anchor is just that an anchor, it is a last resort when all else fails.
I have only used it once and was greatfull for the rest it gave us there seened to be little if any shock loading as the rode was 1" white polypropoline ( I think that was what it was ) the whole thing fitted in to a easy to store bag. No where near the size of the JSD bulk, and I feel that would be the only down side of the JSD. There is a number of drogues on the market that take up less room, just my opinion.
Yes, a JSD may be quite bulky, but I believe that it is more effective than the other drogues, which do not have the distributed load design of the JSD. All the other drogues need to be adjusted to the match the distance between waves, to keep them "positioned" properly.

A JSD requires no such adjustment. As Don Jordan has said, it is kind of like an ejection seat for sailors, just drop it in the water and then hunker down below and hang on. There is no need to adjust the JSD for different wave conditions, as it is designed to self-adjust effectively.

The only real danger with it is the bridle for it chafing through, and if the bridle is properly designed and attached, chafe will be minimal. Chafe is a huge issue for parachute sea anchors and many of the other drogues, since the loads they generate are far more variable and larger.

BTW, you shouldn't use Polypropylene for any kind of sea anchor or drogue line, since it is by far the weakest of all the synthetic lines and also has some of the worst chafe, heat and stress resistances of any kind of line. Storm drogue and sea anchor lines need to be made of nylon IMHO... as they need to have the stretch that only nylon really provides.

One thing I will say about the JSD... retrieval of it sucks... it is a royal and complete PITA. Most other drogues, and I have used the GaleRider and another one, and the parachute-type sea anchors...are relatively simple to retreive in comparison.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-21-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMariner
Simon, 1" is pretty big, what size boat were you on?
The Boat was a 45' Roberts sloop called "slowcoach". The roller furler had jamed and we nearly lost the sail.

SD it could well have been nylon .

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 05-21-2007

gershel is on a distinguished road
JSD Not designed for shallow water

Not all lee shores occur in shallow water. The most notable for East Coast sailors, Bermuda. This can become a dangerous lee shore and the water is very deep close in. Many areas of the Bahamas come to mind also, and with less room to maneuver.
Getting caught in bad conditions 50 mi from Bermuda, in deep water, does not mean that poor judgment or seamanship was used, but you are still in danger of a dangerous lee shore. I personally would want a way of slowing my progress to a minimum. Most case histories I've read claim 0.5kts or less with a Para-anchor. Also according to DDDB testimonials, when proper length nylon rodes are used, there are not exessive loads imposed. Chafe is definitly a problem, but knowing that, proper chafe gear should be obtained before leaving. Not doing so would be poor seamanship.
Marc
Old 05-21-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by gershel
Getting caught in bad conditions 50 mi from Bermuda, in deep water, does not mean that poor judgment or seamanship was used, but you are still in danger of a dangerous lee shore. I personally would want a way of slowing my progress to a minimum. Most case histories I've read claim 0.5kts or less with a Para-anchor. Also according to DDDB testimonials, when proper length nylon rodes are used, there are not exessive loads imposed. Chafe is definitly a problem, but knowing that, proper chafe gear should be obtained before leaving. Not doing so would be poor seamanship.
Marc
Yes, but have you ever tried to adjust the length of the rode on a parachute type sea-anchor under load??? It isn't really feasible unless you're letting out line. Parachute-type sea anchors have to be positioned properly, in relation to the boat, or they can collapse pretty easily. I prefer something that is a bit more flexible about its deployment.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 05-21-2007

abbarr is on a distinguished road
Jsd

I've been impressed about what I've read so far on the JSD. Most of what I like has already been discussed above. I find the data compelling. Lots of good info here: Jordan Series Drogue

For getting off a lee shore I think a true storm jib and tri sail arrangement and taking the seas 50 or so degrees of the bow will be my first choice (when I'm eventually confronted with those conditions). An anchor or drogue will slow you down, but it won't stop progress to the lee. You'd better have some gear to be able to make sufficient headway to weather. I think I'll be buying a JSD, but after two years of looking, I feel like I'm still doing my homework. Opinions on storm tactics, both professional and amateur, are as varied as the boats/skippers that use them.

-don't believe everything you think.
Old 05-21-2007

magnusmurphy is on a distinguished road
JSD and para anchors

Thanks for the excellent discussion. I have an aninformed question:
The JSD is deployed from the stern. From everything I've read, running before the storm (of course given the necessary sea room) will be my absolute first choice when ever confronted with a bad storm. Here is the question: Are para anchors always deployed from the bow?
If so, for me, the decision is easy. I would prefer to run forward with the waves, NOT backwards.

Magnus
Old 05-21-2007
Telstar 28

Part of the problem IMHO, of using a parachute-type sea anchor or drogue from the bow is if the sucker collapses or fails to hold the boat in a fairly steady position, the boat will move backwards and has a pretty fair chance of damaging the rudder, especially if the rudder isn't a balanced design. Then, IMHO, you're pretty screwed.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 05-21-2007

magnusmurphy is on a distinguished road
That's my point. I guess I should have asked the question this way:
Can one also deploy the para anchor from the stern, or are they always deployed from the bow? Probably a stupid question, but one I nonetheless don't know the answer to since I've never seen any pictures or read about deploying them astern - always only from the bow...in contrast to JSD

Magnus