SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

shroud clamp..

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  TrueBlue 
#1 ·
I have a problem with my hinged spreaders sliding down my shrouds.

Above the spreader on the shroud wire, there is a small disk clamp that prevents upward movement.

I would like to buy another one to put below the spreader end but I am having a heck of a time finding any reference on the internet about this type of thing.

Does anyone know what I am talking about and know who sells such a thing?

Or is there a better way to solve this problem?

Thanks,
groundhog

#3 ·
It would help if you said what kind of boat it was, as well as posted a photo of the problem.

My boat has clamps built into the spreader ends to secure the spreader tip on the shroud. Basically, it is a piece of metal with a screw through it... tighten down on the screw... clamps the shroud in place. You could probably do something similar with your spreader tips.

#4 ·
I have an albin vega 27.

Here is what I plan to do for the record..

My spreaders have hinges at the mast so they can move up and down a bit.
Currently I have a spreader roller on the shroud to protect the foresail when it hits the spreader. The spreader roller comes with two disks, one large one that rolls, and one small one that clamps tight to the shroud wire.

I couldn't find another small clamp when searching the marine type parts.

But, these small disk shaped clamps are also known as "shaft collars".
Looked on McMaster Carr and found a nylon one (they also have steel and aluminum) that comes in two pieces with screws to tighten it.

So that's my plan. Still have to install them.

groundhog

#5 ·
groundhog, I'm just wondering--

Is this a problem unique to your Vega, indicating something else is wrong?

Or a part that others have, which went stray from yours?

Or a problem endemic to all Vegas?

Maybe there's something else that is wrong, which is causing this problem, which in turn needs fixing? Something other Vega owners might be able to give you a hint on?

#6 ·
Very perceptive grasshopper!

You are correct. No beating for you today!

At the base of the spreaders where it attaches. This is called the hound or something. Well, this part is made of cast aluminum and has little fingers that are supposed to prevent the spreaders from moving in one direction (down I think). Kind of the same as your cell phone, where it opens to a point and then the little hinge stops hit. On mine, the little aluminum fingers are worn, so the spreader can move too far down.

So my clamps are just fixes to a problem that may not exist on other boats of this type.

groundhog

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.