Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-20-2007

makemyday is on a distinguished road
Prevent fouling on Log paddle wheel

Need help on preventing fouling on my log paddle wheel as it clogs and stops turning (0 knots on display) two or three weeks after cleaning. Have tried using Marker pen ink, not much improvement and have been told that antifoul paints will damage components. Any help will be much appreciated.
Cheers Makemyday
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
That's how they work. They foul. Marker pens...Come on, I've got a bridge to sell you.

When you close up the boat, you pull the impeller. EVERY TIME. When you are getting set to race, you stick it back in. And every time you pull the impeller, you look it over and clean it with a toothbrush or vegetable brush to get the critters and weed out.

Don't like that? Ante up, you can buy an ultrasonic speedo kit, something like a low four figure price, just like the pros do.

For plain cruising? Use the one on the GPS.

Some folks use transducer paint (special antifouling paint $$) or tin antifouling paint (illegal for this use) and try to paint some in there as best as they can. But that's just going to slow the growth, your best bet is still to pull the paddelwheel when you are not using it.
Old 05-20-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Umm... pop it out, clean it, put it back.. takes a few minutes... and keep it out of the water when you're not using it.

HS-

Using the GPS isn't as useful at times, since it can't tell you what the actual speed of the boat through the water is, which is sometimes useful to know.. Having both available can let you see how much you are being set off by various currents.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-20-2007
can't re Member

captlar is on a distinguished road
I pull mine, too. I have heard the "permanent magic marker" fix before, specific to props, and I was going to try it for fun but they splashed the boat early so not this season.

hellosailor - please forward price and location of bridge. I already own 2

"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo
Old 05-20-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
SD-
Thanks, I'm aware of the differences. Which is why I said GPS is good enough for cruising. And I'll maintain it is enough for that. Heck, I've sailed with no speedo at all. The boat still gets there.
Old 05-22-2007

makemyday is on a distinguished road
Thanks Guys, The reason I don't like removing the log each time is that the water comming in corrodes the keel bolts, even though I use towels to mop up. Once the salt gets in it very hard to stop corrosion. Just thought there might be a magic fix, thanks for the imput,
Cheers Kerry
Old 05-22-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
I just put antifouling on mine and make sure it spins when the paint is dry. It jams occasionally, but a bit of speed clears it again.
Old 05-22-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Makemyday-

Try this... cut a hole in a large diaper...just the size of the transducer tube, and put it over the transducer tube, when you're going to pull it... the diaper should absorb quite a bit of the water before it goes anywhere.

This may sound a bit strange, but diapers were designed to absorb lots of water-based fluids quickly and without leaving a mess behind.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-22-2007

capttb is on a distinguished road
I've used transducer paint and it does extend the time a little but not worth the trouble for me. Boat is in the water and used year round and it would be a PITA to pull the ducer everytime. Idiens method of a little speed and jumping the wake from that big trawler cutting across your bow at the harbor mouth will usually free it and if not it's time to pull and clean.
Old 05-22-2007
Plausible Deniability

Kerry, consider potting the keel bolts in beeswax to keep out salt corrosion. Buy a couple of wax seals for toilet bowls, melt 'em down, pour/paint the wax around the clean dry keel bolts. It can be easily removed for inspection/access but binds well and prevents any corrosion.

You can put a paper cup or tin can around each bolt (with the bottom kocked out) and just pour wax to fill it, if you want them encapsulated.