Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-20-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
outboard in motor well...

salt water, yamaha 8hp, fresh water flush connector that I use. It's a bitch to get in and out of motorwell, my lazyness says just leave it in there and watch the zincs but my common sense says take it out except when sailing. Then my laziness says, ok, but where would I put it? I would have to rig a sling to get it in and out, it's too heavy and it's a tight fit.

What does everyone else say?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
Dunno... If its washed clean of salt, kept dry and well ventilated, temperature average 20C - doesn't that describe any good storage condition?
Old 05-20-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If the boat is kept in the water, you're probably better off taking it out, except when you're actually using the boat. It will reduce the chances of bad things happening to the outboard, like corrosion, and also reduce the chance of fouling the lower drive unit and prop. One guy I know is building a rail mount system for his outboard, which is in a motor well, so that he can haul on a line and have the engine just come straight up. It would store on the rails, when not actually in use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-20-2007

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
You're a step ahead of me. My 8hp Honda is in a well, but without any way to flush. My motor stays on the boat and in the water year round. Once a year when I take the motor out to change the oil and the like, I paint the outdrive and prop with all the appropriate primers followed by Interlux Trilux 33. I change the zinc at the same time, even if it's minimally corroded. I've found that once it gets corroded, the remaining zinc degrades rapidly. I also avoid the use of any shore power to eliminate trace currents that could cause electrolysis.
Old 05-20-2007
Helms ALee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiens
Dunno... If its washed clean of salt, kept dry and well ventilated, temperature average 20C - doesn't that describe any good storage condition?
The motorwell is enclosed, so the motor can't be tilted up and out of the water. So the bottom part of the shaft is always in the water.
Old 05-20-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
More than anything, you want to be able to flush the cooling system with fresh water pretty regularly or you'll end up with clogged arteries and that's never a good thing

I say rig a sling if for no other reason but to flush it out

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 05-20-2007
Helms ALee!

Anyone have picts of slings to share?
Old 05-21-2007
Helms ALee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192
You're a step ahead of me. My 8hp Honda is in a well, but without any way to flush. My motor stays on the boat and in the water year round. Once a year when I take the motor out to change the oil and the like, I paint the outdrive and prop with all the appropriate primers followed by Interlux Trilux 33. I change the zinc at the same time, even if it's minimally corroded. I've found that once it gets corroded, the remaining zinc degrades rapidly. I also avoid the use of any shore power to eliminate trace currents that could cause electrolysis.
How long have you been doing this? Salt water or fresh? Do you ever flush?

One guy in the slip across from me takes his 4hp out and puts it in a bucket of fresh water and runs it for like 15 minutes every time he goes out. I'm thinking this is excessive.
Old 05-21-2007

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
The motor just celebrated it's 10th birthday. For the first several years, I took it off each winter, but haven't done that last few years. It's too hard to get back on if there's a nice day. The motor doesn't have any way to flush, so, no, I don't flush. I know I'm playing Russian Roulette, but I don't have much of a choice. The motor is just to big to heft in and out each time. The hole in the well that the shaft passes through is small, so that doesn't help matters.
Old 05-21-2007

Hawkeye25 is on a distinguished road
Okay, I have a thought. Imagine this. You get some very heavy canvas and sew it into a big 'sock' to enclose the lower part of the motor and come up as high as you can, with a strap to come over the top of motor. You install a small (the tiny Rule unit) bilge pump, with the outlet plumbed with PVC to act both as a drain, and as the 'stick' to push the sack down beside the outboard. When down sailing for the day, slip the bag over the bottom of the outboard, secure it, and pump out the seawater. Then fill it with fresh water and flush the engine, then pump that water out as well. It should protect the bottom of the engine quite well while sitting in the slip, but probably can't be used under way. (Drag, as well as preventing an emergency engine use.)

Just a thought. Oh, almost forgot, you need to treat the canvas with waterproofing, inside and out, and will know when to do it by the water coming in.

Hawk