Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-07-2000

drichards is on a distinguished road
c&c30

Mike,
Thanks for the informative reply. We are considering a summer-long cruise, so I think we will be within range.
Last summer, we combined 3 weeks of cruising and racing around Lake Ontario. We left Toronto for Youngstown, New York , where we competed in the Levels there. We then proceeded to Rochester and Sodus Bay for the LYRA (Lake Yacht Racing Association) Race Week. We then moved on to Kingston, Ontario and the Thousand Islands for a few days of relaxation on island anchorages before returning via the inland route on the north shore. Circumnavigating the Lake was a great way to get our cruising feet wet.
I have just retired from a career in education and while working at another job for a while to take advantage of an opportunity to "double-dip", I am dreaming of summers and winters in the future.
I am enjoying our correspondence.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2000

hamham is on a distinguished road
c&c30

I am the former owner of a C&C 30 equipped with a Yanmar 2GM20 diesel and a 13" fixed two blade prop. I would have to agree with the earlier post; a three bladed feathering prop is simply overkill for this boat. I have done 5.5 knots with both wind and waves in my face. (Neither my engine nor the prop were in great condition at the time.) As for crusing down this way, I too would suggest going east, way east. Western Long Island Sounds is notorius for light winds. I would "hump" it and start your real crusing in Eastern Long Island Sound. Make sure that you visit places like Mystic, Stonington, Fisher''s Island, Shelter Island, and Block Island. Newport (where I keep my boat) is a good stop on you way further east to Cuttyhunk and the Elizabeth Islands. I wud give Martha''s Vineyard only a day or two on your way to Nantucket (my favorite). On your return, you can hit places like Chatham, Hyannis and Wood''s Hole/Hadley Harbor on the Cape. The Western side of Buzzard''s Bay has some nice harbors as well. Good Luck.

Old 12-07-2000

MikeMoss is on a distinguished road
c&c30

I concur with Mike 100%. Although western LIS is really nice somehow everybody goes east. It must be the busy harbors,

Some of my favorites are: Mattituck Inlet (All the way to the anchoring basin. The free -2 hr. limit-floating town dock has free showers!) I watched a man from Sweden paint the bottom of his self made steel boat here by leaning it against the bulkhead at the launching ramp. I think he spend a month or so in this anchorage.

Next go into the CT River and stop in the North Cove. Yellow ribboned vacant mooring there are free for a few days or whatever. It''s shoal there right now so grab a mooring on the east end. Ask somebody here. There may be other spots too. The North Cove is really nice. No wakes, no crowds, no money collectors. The is a dink dock there and free water at the town dock at 1/2 tide or more for a 5'' draft I would guess. Essex CT is a gem but the moorings in the river are subject to wash from the boats going by. If there are any woman on board I suppose you must stop there. The town is cute.

The gem of this area could be Hamburg Cove just up the river from Essex. This is a spectacular place surrounded now by mansions.

The water is fresh here in HC and nice for swimming. There are moorings here and it''s a tradition to use them without permission. If you stay on the boat or it''s late this should work. Of course if you meet a hard ass like me there it won''t be all that much fun. Just say "sorry I thought this was a rental. We are moving right away and move to another vacant one! I never bothers me. But then I am me! Bring some food to cook in HC. There is nothing to buy there.

Whew, I have just started. Like I said Mike is 100% correct and I am sure he could come up with details like this. To mention some harbors that he did not I would go into Narraganset Bay. Wickford (Kingston) has free moorings. Newport is Newport. You must go there but don''t use your dink there unless I am with you, LOL. Use the launch and lock your dink to your stern.

Nantucket is one of my favorites too. The Vinyard is almost it''s equal. Cuttyhunk Pond is special. It gets windy in this area at times so you may want to wait it out. These places are to be enjoyed anyway.

Have fun.
Old 04-06-2008

Ralph35 is on a distinguished road
Hello. I have a 1976 C&C30 with a wet rudder that has frozen and developed a crack.I want to drop the rudder to get it done. Would appreciate any info about getting rudder out.

Ralph35
Old 04-06-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
This is an 8 year-old thread.
Old 04-06-2008

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
We have a C&C k/c MKIII on the Chesapeake and have sailed her down to Cape May and up the coast a few times and both inside up the LI sound and around Montauk Pt dtaying 100 miles offshore.

Usual sailing down the Jersey Coast to Cape may in season will be close hauled and can be rough so break up your trip into the three untrecherous inlets.

I would suggest with the 30 ft you stay coastal and do the LI Sound, East river, Jersey Coast only tryi ng to go in Maesquan, Atlantic Cty, and Cape My Inlets to get tot he Chesapeake then you ahve to motor up the Deleware bay, but Chesapeake sailing is worth it. Fell free to e mail me.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-07-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ralph-

Welcome to sailnet.

You're really be much better off starting a new thread rather than reviving one that has been dead for EIGHT YEARS.

Please read the post I mention in my signature to get the most out of your time on sailnet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph35 View Post
Hello. I have a 1976 C&C30 with a wet rudder that has frozen and developed a crack.I want to drop the rudder to get it done. Would appreciate any info about getting rudder out.

Ralph35

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.