SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Standing rigging (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/32710-standing-rigging.html)

katocomb 05-20-2007 01:36 PM

Standing rigging

The present owner and yacht broker of an Ericson 32 I am anticipating purchasing (I've put earnest $ down) took it out for a daysail this weekend and a shroud "popped" at the turnbuckle racket. Makes me think that possibly all the standing rigging might need replacement. Anyone with thoughts on this and a ballpark idea of the cost? There's alot of standing rigging on this boat!

sailingdog 05-20-2007 01:41 PM

Ouch... Did you get the boat surveyed yet? If not, then I would have the boat surveyed... chances are very likely that not only the standing rigging, but the chainplates are all in need of replacement. This is a fairly expensive thing... but beats having the mast come down.

T37Chef 05-20-2007 01:51 PM

This may be a blessing in disguise.

If the rigging is falling down...what else has not been maintained properly? A qualified surveyor will tell you.

However, it could be an opportunity to get a good boat with a significant discount. At least get a bid (or two) on what it would cost to have it all redone and subtract from the asking price of the boat...and anything else you find :)

katocomb 05-20-2007 01:54 PM

The survey is set for next week, I'm definitely going to have him check it well. thanx for the feedback!

sailingdog 05-20-2007 01:57 PM

Don't forget to have them check the tangs on the mast as well as the chainplates... although the chainplates are far more likely to be in need of replacement. If the chainplates go through the deck, chances are very high that the stainless steel will have crevice corrosion at the point it enters the deck at the very least.

Are you having a separate engine survey done as well??

katocomb 05-20-2007 02:13 PM

Hadn't thought of that, good idea. It's an A4 and has 'issues' but working on that doesn't intimidate me as much as the idea of the mast coming down and possibly hurting someone and/or punching some holes. Having a mechanic look over and estimate costs on the engine has got to be a good idea!

jmunson2 05-20-2007 05:41 PM

Definitely have as full survey done as possible.

My brother recently went through this with our '71 Cheoy Lee 42. Had he done the full survey (involving unstepping the masts and an engine survey), he could have saved about $8,000-$10,000 in unnecessary expenses. Nearly the entire standing rig needed replacment and the engine required about $2,500 in repairs as well.

A full survey is a VERY VERY good idea!

Sincerely,

/s/ Jon C. Munson II

tenuki 05-20-2007 09:08 PM

Getting a standing rigging survey from a rigger may be a good idea. Make sure he will go up the mast and do a complete rigging inspection. A typical boat survey only does a cursory inspection of the rigging to eye lvl, and a rigger would do a more complete job anyway. Think of it like getting a separate marine diesel survey.

sailingdog 05-20-2007 09:47 PM

Good point tenuki... given the recent failure, it might be wise to get a rigger in to do a rigging specific survey. You'll need a rigger to get you an estimate on the replacement costs in any case, so you might as well have them do a complete survey.

Sailormann 05-21-2007 12:49 AM

Quote:

turnbuckle racket.
Okay - I give up - what is this ? I have never heard this term before.