Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-21-2007

BigCatOne is on a distinguished road
12v system and 24v system on 1 boat at same time?

I am building a sailing catamaran which I intend to power with two Yanmar 6BY260 engines, which come with only a 12 volt systems. These engines are the new type 2 low emission engines which use computers to reduce fuel consumption and pollution. I want to run a 24 volt boat, and my question is, has anybody ever run a boat with two different dc voltage systems? I would just add a 24 volt alternator to each engine, and set up separate systems for 12 and 24 volts.

I can't find any reference to this idea anywhere. Everybody seems to go with a 12 volt system and a 120 or 240 AC system. I have no desire for an AC system, even though everyone else seems to want one on any boat bigger than a daysailer these days. Can/should a 12 volt system and a 24 volt system share a ground? Are there any other issues I should be concerned about?

Thanks,

Tim Dunn
Arlington WA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
Quite a lot of stink-pots use both 24V and 12V systems. So I don't think it's unusual.
Old 05-21-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A lot of stinkpots use two DC systems as some of the bigger engines use 36 or 48 VDC for starting their very large engines...

My questions is "Why do you want to run both 12 and 24 VDC?" It seems like you're just going to complicate your life doing that.... Unless you have a specific need, it would seem to be a much better idea to me to keep the boat as simple as possible.

Also, you don't say where you are located... but in the US, the number of 24 VDC accessories isn't all that high, since 24 VDC systems are more common in other parts of the world AFAIK.

BTW, another multihull sailor is always welcome to sailnet. BTW, what design is the cat going to be and what construction method are you using to build it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-21-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
To me...makes absolutely no sense...
Old 05-21-2007

BigCatOne is on a distinguished road
24 volts are better than 12 volts because...

24 volt is better than 12 volts, because the wiring is cheaper and you don't spend as much money heating wires. These engines have onboard computers and electronic injection. The engines use 12 volts to run, and won't run without it. I consider this the simplest approach, actually. I would make the whole boat 24 volt, if only the engines came with a 24 volt option.

And, I am having no trouble finding 24volt gear, except for 2 or 3 low draw electronic items, which I will power with a DC to DC converter, which costs about $85.

As far as I am concerned, 12 volt systems are an obsolete relic of the days when boats had much, much less electrical gear. Just price the cables to run a big electric anchor windlass with 12 volts versus 24 volts, and you will see my point. I'd go with manual, but this is a 65' boat we are talking about, and it will operate in coral waters, where a rope-chain rode isn't a practical option.

And, if it so common to do this, why can't I find one lousy wiring diagram for the idea?

I am designing my own boat, as I have been an amateur designer since the days of planimeters, splines, and French curves. I had a bad experience in 1971 sailing from Hawaii to Seattle, and decided to learn yacht design in self-defense. The construction method will be modified Kelsall, with a radius chine design. The radius chine will have a 2' diameter throughout, hand laid up, with the rest of the boat made by resin infusion on a flat table.
Old 05-21-2007
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Look up the wiring for a series/parallel switch used on big rigs (trucks). 12 volts to run all the trucks accessories except the starter, which is 24 volt and activated by a solenoid that changes two banks paralleled to series (and it doesn't mess up the rest of the system)
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.