Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-22-2007

canoeman21 is on a distinguished road
22' chrysler

i have a 22' chrysler sail boat and was working on changing the line on the rudder. i found out that the rudder is on upside down! no wonder it was so hard to get up and down. the line was changed but what i found out when it was apart is that the hole that the bolt goes thru had been enlongated and out of round. i know where the hole has got to be and i am thinking of using sex bolts or a piece of stainless pipe and filling in around with some epoxy or somyhing else. has any one run into this problem that has a better solution? thanks in advance. new to the sailing gig
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're going to fill it with epoxy, use colloidial silica and graphite as the fillers. The collodial silica will give it a lot of strength and the graphite will allow it to act as a bearing surface. An advantage of using thickened epoxy over stainless is that the epoxy doesn't suffer from corrosion issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-31-2007

ricocamacho is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ricocamacho
Chrysler 22 Rudder Bolt

Hi,

I just bought a Chrysler 22 and took her on her maiden voyage with me.

Upon return under propeller to dock, the rudder started shuddering and all control was lost. I thought I dropped the keel or something drastic. Upon stopping the motor, I could see the rudder falling aftward. The rudder is still connected thankfully but now I need to fix the problem.

It appears that a bolt rattled free causing the rudder to hang by one bolt. I know that the rudder is a "break away" to prevent loss if I strike a sandbar or some unseen object.

Do I simply need to replace a bolt or does it need to be tightened to secure in place? I was looking at the owners manual which does not mention at all this sort of problem. Does anyone have past experience with this issue I am confronting. How difficult is it to repair?

Thanks for any assistance from you all.

Rico
rico@camachonoteservices.com
510-931-7086/866-913-9604
Old 05-31-2007

canoeman21 is on a distinguished road
the rudder on my 22, chrysler only has 1 bolt. if that fell out the only thing holding it in or up would be the rope for raising or lowering. i am new to this boat and sailing in general so i hope you get more help from sombody that knows more than i do.
Old 05-31-2007

Thanks Canoeman

That kinda answers my suspicion. This is a rudder which is raised and lowered by the rudder control - I have an idea that the control cable may have given away...

I too am new at this so my guess is only speculation

Thanks for your interest and reply..
Old 06-01-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Here ya go folks.... (you're welcome )

http://chryslersailing.lizards.net/i...udder_post.gif
Old 06-02-2007

Thank You Gentlemen

I had my boat cleaned and analyzed. Discovered that the rudder does not have a bolt (Duh) it is a breakaway. The rudder is held up by a cord which reaches into my cockpit. This was connected but in my ignorance I didn't realize that simply pulling on the right cord put it back into place with the assistance of the diver to move it back down into place.

Sorry for the false scare - though I learned alot about my boat in this whole thing.

My point is that if I had read the manual as I should have instead of jumping to conclusions - I did have over 300 lbs of crap on the bottom however. Now its smooth sailing.

Thanks for everything gentlemen...

Rico

Last edited by ricocamacho; 06-02-2007 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-02-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL.... sometimes RTFM makes sense.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.