Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-22-2007

scurvy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to scurvy
Clear Vinyl Repair

Has anyone attempted to repair tears in their clear vinyl windows on their dodger? Is this at all possible, or is it just best to tear out the stitiching, buy an new piece, cut to size and have someone sew it back in??? the latter just sounds sooooo expensive!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Why can't you sew it back in?? If you have access to a sewing machine capable of handling such heavy materials, then I don't see any reason you can't do this yourself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-22-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Sorry to do this but, we are looking for some isinglass and contacted Sailrite. They only sell it in fairly large quantities for what we need...any other suppliers who might sell only about a 2'x6' piece?

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 05-22-2007

The window is torn....so I was wondering if I could repair it. I would have to buy a roll of the clear vinyl, or buy it in bullk sheets and I would like to try to avoid that expense if at all possible? Imay have to do that though....That stuff is a b**ch to sew...particulary by hand! Could be a good rainly day project though...
Old 05-22-2007

T37Chef,

Have you tried these guys?
Window Material

They sell partial sheets and rolls (both 20 and 30 ga) for about $18 -$24 per foot I believe?

Also...what do most folks use to clean the vinyl windows? This is a new old dodger and I remember cleaning my old dodger on our Sabre....but I don't remember what we used...not only cleaned it, but took some of the yellowing out as well!!!!
Old 05-22-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
T37Chef-

Although you're hijacking his thread, you might contact a local marine canvas shop and ask if you could buy a small piece. They probably buy it in bulk and would more than likely sell you a 2' x 6' piece if you ask nicely.

Scurvy... ditto as for getting a piece of Isinglass. might be able to get a sheet just a bit bigger than the one you have to replace. I'd get two pieces or a piece twice as big as you need... in case you screw it up and if you don't, you'll have a spare.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 05-22-2007
Telstar 28

BTW, read this article on cleaning strataglass.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 05-22-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
might be able to get a sheet just a bit bigger than the one you have to replace. I'd get two pieces or a piece twice as big as you need... in case you screw it up and if you don't, you'll have a spare.
LOL...knowing me...I will need three pieces...because I am going to screw it up alright!!!

Thanks for the link sailingdog!!!
Old 05-22-2007

1970Columbia34 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via MSN to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via Yahoo to 1970Columbia34
We have the same issue, we had a bad hail storm (golf ball size) last week and it put a hole in a dodger window. I am all for fixing it the correct way but I would like to wait tell we have the canvas guy make sides this winter. So we are looking for a tempoary fix. We clean our glass with race car windshield foam cleaner, its good for up to 200mph for those of you with really fast boats, in our case I am doing all I can get to gain speed.
Old 05-22-2007
Telstar 28

1970Columbia34-

I get the feeling that whatever you clean it with won't speed up your boat much...

If you need a temporary fix, 3M makes a nice clear version of duct tape.

Telstar 28
New England

Last edited by sailingdog; 05-22-2007 at 10:04 PM.