SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Clear Vinyl Repair

9K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Giulietta 
#1 ·
Has anyone attempted to repair tears in their clear vinyl windows on their dodger? Is this at all possible, or is it just best to tear out the stitiching, buy an new piece, cut to size and have someone sew it back in??? the latter just sounds sooooo expensive!!!

#2 ·
Why can't you sew it back in?? If you have access to a sewing machine capable of handling such heavy materials, then I don't see any reason you can't do this yourself.

#4 ·
The window is torn....so I was wondering if I could repair it. I would have to buy a roll of the clear vinyl, or buy it in bullk sheets and I would like to try to avoid that expense if at all possible? Imay have to do that though....That stuff is a b**ch to sew...particulary by hand! Could be a good rainly day project though...

#5 ·
T37Chef,

Have you tried these guys?
Window Material

They sell partial sheets and rolls (both 20 and 30 ga) for about $18 -$24 per foot I believe?

Also...what do most folks use to clean the vinyl windows? This is a new old dodger and I remember cleaning my old dodger on our Sabre....but I don't remember what we used...not only cleaned it, but took some of the yellowing out as well!!!!

#6 ·
T37Chef-

Although you're hijacking his thread, you might contact a local marine canvas shop and ask if you could buy a small piece. They probably buy it in bulk and would more than likely sell you a 2' x 6' piece if you ask nicely.

Scurvy... ditto as for getting a piece of Isinglass. might be able to get a sheet just a bit bigger than the one you have to replace. I'd get two pieces or a piece twice as big as you need... in case you screw it up and if you don't, you'll have a spare. ;)

#7 ·
BTW, read this article on cleaning strataglass.

#8 ·
sailingdog said:
might be able to get a sheet just a bit bigger than the one you have to replace. I'd get two pieces or a piece twice as big as you need... in case you screw it up and if you don't, you'll have a spare. ;)
LOL...knowing me...I will need three pieces...because I am going to screw it up alright!!! :p

Thanks for the link sailingdog!!!

#9 ·
We have the same issue, we had a bad hail storm (golf ball size) last week and it put a hole in a dodger window. I am all for fixing it the correct way but I would like to wait tell we have the canvas guy make sides this winter. So we are looking for a tempoary fix. We clean our glass with race car windshield foam cleaner, its good for up to 200mph for those of you with really fast boats, in our case I am doing all I can get to gain speed.

#10 · (Edited)
1970Columbia34-

I get the feeling that whatever you clean it with won't speed up your boat much... ;)

If you need a temporary fix, 3M makes a nice clear version of duct tape. :)

#17 ·
Any canvas shop......

Any canvas shop should have lots of stuff kicking around. Depending on your area, you should not use anything thicker than 30g or it will be very hard to work with and.....overkill. Most shops buy 20 or 30 gauge UPS roll quality which is fine for a repair....but use the 30. If you want perfect clarity, you'll have to bite the B and get a sheet. Could be expensive. Then your repaired window will certainly not match the rest.

#18 ·
Plexus

Plexus is a vinyl polish that cleans up clear very nicely. It will not take out scratchs but will do a nice job to clean. Got that tip from a BMW dealer. I've also had 30 years of good luck with Windex inside and out. A small dab of Kerosene will take out grease and not harm the plastic. Just don't pour it on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.