Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-06-2007
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Marine.Com

FWIW - Because the admiral can't swim, I had decided to buy the Mustang MD3184 (Hammar Hydrostatic Inflator with Integral Safety Harness) about 3 months ago.

I shopped around the net, and placed an order with a vendor that I had read some good things about elsewhere. Soon after, I noticed that my credit card was been charged right away. Two weeks go by - no PFD. I called (no one ever there) / left voicemail / emailed / submitted customer service inquiries several times to check on the status. Eventually I learned through email that they were on "Back Order." After a month, still no PFD, and I have a whoppin' charge to my credit card. So I cancelled the order, shopped around some more, and placed with another dealer that promised on their web page; "In stock, usually ships within 1-2 business days." Another month went by, still no PFD. So, I called / emailed several times to check on the status, and eventually learned that they were on "Back Order till July". (De-ja-vu) So I cancelled this order too.

I was getting anxious, and sailing season is passing me by, so I call the local WM to see if they have the model (or WM's equivalent) in stock, and how much. Out of stock, and 50% higher than the original order , plus tax. Would they match the WM catalog price? ($30 less) "No - 'cause you would have to pay for shipping." Whatever... I think that there is an entire thread dedicated to the "New WM"...

Sheesh, I was about to give up when I remembered Marine.com. You know, this site's sponsor. (Doh!) Because I was leery of another back order situation, I called and spoke with a person who assured me that they had 17 in stock, and were a lot less than WM. This same person also assured me that I "should have it within two days." I was so happy that I ordered TWO.

Lesson 1 - The cheapest route is usually not the best, neither is the most expensive.

Lesson 2 - Try not to overlook the obvious!

Lesson 3 - We all enjoy this forum. I beleive that it is a great way to show some appreciation, by sending some business the way of our host.

Ed

(Now, if two weeks go by and I have to get on the phone again....)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2007

grantmc is on a distinguished road
Here in New Zealand our regulations specify that there must be a PFD for each person on the vessel. But the wearing of PFDs isn’t mandatory.fficeffice" />>>
>>
A few weeks ago we witnessed a very sad example of when the wearing of a PFD isn’t a good idea. The accident is still under investigation but the reports show that the launch started taking on water. On board were three children. The skipper immediately instructed the children and the other two adults to don life jackets. The children remained in the cabin whilst the skipper attempted to make a landfall. Whilst underway the leak continued and in a very short time the boat sunk stern first. The three children were trapped in the cabin, held up the rising water by their life jackets and tragically lost. Similar situations have occurred in planes crash landing on water.>>
>>
People have also died because they’ve worn their self-inflating PFDs under other clothing. When automatically inflated because of water, the expansion is such the outer clothing can’t be opened and the victim quickly dies of suffocation due to the constriction on their chests. >>
>>
When your inflating PFD requires a service it is very worthwhile to use the opportunity to experience the inflation whilst you are wearing it.. Then you’ll be aware of just how much they do expand and the pressure they create on the chest.>>
Old 06-07-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
True, PFDs—in rare situations can prove a hazard—but in most situations, they are better used than not used. These two anecdotes are like citing the guy who swears that seatbelts are dangerous because his life was saved by not wearing one in a freak car accident where he was thrown clear of the car and it exploded or burned or sank. In a much higher percentage of cases wearing your seat belt in a car is going to save your life and help prevent massive injuries. The same applies for PFDs.

You should never wear an inflatable PFD under anything... for the reasons you've cited, but also because the activation could be prevented or delayed.

I also agree that getting experience of having one inflate automatically while you are wearing it is a good thing. It will also give you an idea of how encumbering they are once inflated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc
Here in New Zealand our regulations specify that there must be a PFD for each person on the vessel. But the wearing of PFDs isn’t mandatory.fficeffice" />>>
>>
A few weeks ago we witnessed a very sad example of when the wearing of a PFD isn’t a good idea. The accident is still under investigation but the reports show that the launch started taking on water. On board were three children. The skipper immediately instructed the children and the other two adults to don life jackets. The children remained in the cabin whilst the skipper attempted to make a landfall. Whilst underway the leak continued and in a very short time the boat sunk stern first. The three children were trapped in the cabin, held up the rising water by their life jackets and tragically lost. Similar situations have occurred in planes crash landing on water.>>
>>
People have also died because they’ve worn their self-inflating PFDs under other clothing. When automatically inflated because of water, the expansion is such the outer clothing can’t be opened and the victim quickly dies of suffocation due to the constriction on their chests. >>
>>
When your inflating PFD requires a service it is very worthwhile to use the opportunity to experience the inflation whilst you are wearing it.. Then you’ll be aware of just how much they do expand and the pressure they create on the chest.>>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-07-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Yes, and there are examples of seat belts CAUSING deaths in car accidents.

But either you make public safety decisions based on the flip of a coin (which is illegal here in the States) or you make them based on the odds, and the odds say that wearing a PFD is far safer than not wearing one.

Which is why we also have laws requiring minors to wear PFDs in some situations.
Old 06-07-2007

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Just back from a 3-day shakedown cruise, solo, to see what broke over the winter/spring (happily, as it turns out, very little).

On this trip, I had two days of very boisterous sailing, including a morning when with a double-reefed main and only half of a genoa rolled out, my port rail was in the water in gusts. Whoopee!

This was a good opportunity to try out my new Mustang inflatable PFD. Understand that I'm not the kind of guy who routinely wears PFDs. Far from it. In a lifetime of sailing, I've only had a lifejacket on a couple of times.

However, recognizing that my past sins might catch up with me -- especially as the years rolled by all too quickly -- I researched "comfortable" and reliable inflatable PFDs. I wanted the auto ones with the true hydrostatic release, in case I were bumped in the head or for other reasons rendered unconscious, and I wanted one with a proper harness. Yes, I do routinely use a harness and jacklines offshore or in rough weather inland.

I wanted a vest which was comfortable as well, so I'd not find an excuse not to wear it. Finally settled on the Mustang model MD3184, which I found online at a very favorable price. It arrived the next day, and I wore it around the house all afternoon.

On this shakedown cruise I wore it dutifully on those two breezy days. It was comfortable, and did not intrude on my mobility at all. It's well made, attractive, and easy to don and take off.

Bottom line: I think I'm going like it and, in fact, am going to order a couple more for crew members.

Bill
Old 06-07-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Bill-

The inflatable ones with integrated harnesses are a lot more comfortable than any other type. Makes wearing them regularly much less of a problem.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 06-07-2007

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Dog,

Yep. I agree. That's why I got one, and plan to get a few more.

Hey...you ever get that ProMariner installed?

Bill
Old 06-07-2007
Telstar 28

Bill-

The ProMariner install will probably happen next week or so.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 06-08-2007
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Marine.Com / Sailnet

I just received the two Mustang MD3184 Inflatable PFDs that I ordered on Wednesday. On time, fair price, as promised.. you can't ask for more than that!