Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-24-2007

groundhog is on a distinguished road
Spreader lights: One or two?

I was planning to put in two spreader lights, one to light up the foredeck and one to light the cabin/cockpit.

But now a friend of mine says he thinks you only need one for the foredeck.

Is there a reason to have a second spreader light for the rear of the boat? To have the whole boat surface illuminated?

thanks,
groundhog
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I have 2 lights, so it does not look odd with only one light on one spreader.

If you can get two, it helps at night when you need to work on stuff. And I had to use them on several occasions.

Unfortunately I got these swivel light from West Marine , and their construction is very bad, they filled with water and failed. Water enters thru the hole in the swivel. I brought them with me and West Marine gave me new ones for free of a different model that is built in such way water can't get in. The new ones are not swivel, but also don't have the hole for water to get in.

Last edited by Giulietta; 05-24-2007 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-24-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I agree with Giu, to be symmetrical, spreader lights should be in pairs. My ketch doesn't have spreader lights - instead, there is one halogen flood mounted of the frontside of the mainmast another on the mizzen, lights up the entire Bay.
Old 05-24-2007
Belliure 41'

JT1019 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JT1019
I went with two Forespar spreader lights that are mast mounted below the spreaders and the combination steaming / bow light for the foredeck. I have all the lights wired to separate switches so I can select exactly what I need when I need it. I could light up half the marina but it comes in really handy when I have girls dancing on deck. My only thought is go with more light then you think you need just incase.
Old 05-24-2007

groundhog is on a distinguished road
Hmmmm...
dancing girls... are these naked or clothed dancing girls?
....now back to my ugly reality.

I'm afraid I have purchased the swivel lights. I guess I will take some precautions and goop up the swivel holes once I position them. I purchased the LED versions.

groundhog
Old 05-24-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhog
I'm afraid I have purchased the swivel lights. I guess I will take some precautions and goop up the swivel holes once I position them. I purchased the LED versions.

groundhog
Are they the same as i mentioned?? If they are, go back, and return them, if you can. Mine were filled with sikaflex and still water got in. The metal expands with heat from the light. Get the non swivel ones, the hole is on the side and if you loop the wire forming a U before it enters the light water will not get in.

I forgot to tell you I also have a another light forward in the mast, pointing down in to foredeck.
Old 05-24-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
combo light

We decided to go with the steaming/deck combo light which mounts on the center of the mast. I've never had a deck light and hope that this will be ok. One thing's for sure... it will be more light than the flashlight i was using before!

This one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-24-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Here's a cropped photo of the mizzen decklight, with a sealed lamp -

Both mainmast and mizzen decklights are in horizontal alignment, replacing spreader lights.

Old 05-24-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Just a comment: It would seem logical that you have to have two: one for forward and one to light up the center/aft/cockpit. However, there are times when you turn on the deck light you do not want it shinning on you. An example would be when weighing anchor at night (to keep your night vision) or when offshore and checking the rigging (so anyone down below can sleep).

When offshore (hell, forget offshore... an mile off the coast), your eyes are so accusted to the cave-like darkness that just a forward facing deck light will see like the sun came out.

I prefer a forward facing deck light with a seperate (red preferably, both red and white if you can) lights in the cockpit (IN the cocpit).

Just my thoughts.

- CD

PS Giu told you that product is junk, so take it back. You do not want to start drilling holes twice and you SURE don't want to go up that stick twice. Take it back and buy the good stuff.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-24-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
I use a portable model of light, that way the dual lights point exactly at what I'm working on:

Get yours at satan.com