Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-25-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
The zincs are coming out a new ones installed, I guess I'll have to replace them more often. These are from early march 2006, so been in water for a year and 2 months. So they paid their dues...
FYI for those whose boats do not live in the water year-round, 6-9 months is normal zinc life in a marine environment.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms
FYI for those whose boats do not live in the water year-round, 6-9 months is normal zinc life in a marine environment.
Yes...I have found that now, after talking to westamrine manager here.

The boat was hauled a few weeks before the boom broke, (February) and all was fine, the zincs were a little gone, but nothing to it.

Then the boom broke and the boat was stopped for 2 months. The hull was cleaned by a diver, that only cleans...he has no idea what a zinc should be, so he did not report that. My previous boats, their zincs lasted over a year, so why should this one be different?? Anyway...guess from now on, 6 months is the limit....

Anyway...the saildrive is going to be cleaned, oil change and repainted, and I will clean the prop...and put Propspeed on it, so it stays cleaner...

The cleaning diver will get a "crash course" on saildrive and zincs next week
Old 05-25-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Talking

Don't let these guys take advantage of you. While you are in the US, stop at any chandlery and ask them for a bottle of "prop wash". Yes, that's the special cleaner we use to get all that crud off the prop.

Of course you may need to mail it home, or pack it in your checked luggage not the carry-on bag.
Old 05-25-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
HS..is the prop wash made by the same company that makes the plumb bow??

By the way....I was just informed that that propspeed stuff $200 a pop!!!!, is snake fat in a bottle. So...no go....

Anyway...(by the way TB I just bought the Zinc saver, thanks, just in case. I called them and they are in NH) I am going to clean (as you recommended) and polish the prop. Yanmar is dealing with the saildrive monday and I am going to enjoy my few days here.

Thanks
Old 05-25-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
G, sometimes I think the only sure way to keep a prop clean is to lift the boat in between sailings. I've got some crazy ideas I'd like to test but have held them in restraint for the while. I suppose the only sure thing would be to back the boat into a "diaper" and dose it with toxins to make sure nothing grew while it was moored but then the first problem is where to stow the big wet diaper while under way.
Old 05-25-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Like the old adage, "The best bilge pump is a scared sailor with a bucket," the best way to keep your prop clean is to engage the services of your local hull diver. Nothing works as well as human eyes and hands.
Old 05-26-2007

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
Hi Giu:

I was only saying that the rapid loss of zinc as well as the appearance of your prop in the photo suggested electrolysis. You should check out the variety of metals that are electrically connected together in the subnerged portion of your drive train.

As for cleaning your prop, etc., try 3M scotch brite pads. There is also a rotary version of scotch-brite that can be chucked into an electric drill. These are often used by automobile body shops to remove rust from steel. See:
3M Company Scotch-Brite Paint/Rust Remover - 9410

Also:
Buy Paint and Rust Stripper Kit 4 Inches 9099 by 3M at HardwareAndTools.com

I think they should be OK for propeller bronze as long as you don't get too enthusiastic.

If it were me, I would first soak the prop in a solvent for a while to try and soften the deposits. Paint thinner (mineral spirits) might be a good first try.

Last edited by Goodnewsboy; 05-26-2007 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-26-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Giu -- the answer is obvious: Fred and a snorkel.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 05-26-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnewsboy
Hi Giu:

I was only saying that the rapid loss of zinc as well as the appearance of your prop in the photo suggested electrolysis. You should check out the variety of metals that are electrically connected together in the subnerged portion of your drive train.

As for cleaning your prop, etc., try 3M scotch brite pads. There is also a rotary version of scotch-brite that can be chucked into an electric drill. These are often used by automobile body shops to remove rust from steel. See:
3M Company Scotch-Brite Paint/Rust Remover - 9410

Also:
Buy Paint and Rust Stripper Kit 4 Inches 9099 by 3M at HardwareAndTools.com

I think they should be OK for propeller bronze as long as you don't get too enthusiastic.

If it were me, I would first soak the prop in a solvent for a while to try and soften the deposits. Paint thinner (mineral spirits) might be a good first try.
Goodnewsboy, thank you. That is what I wanted, I will do it like that.

The zinc wear is very normal, as I sent the photos to Gori, and the saildrive is not corroded or damaged at all. It was marine growth, and bad one...

All taken care, as soon as I get home, I'll post a photo of my shinny prop, after I clean it.

Sailormitch, Fred can't hold his breath that long!!!! but I like the idea....
Old 05-26-2007
Alex, not full of crap

werebeagle will become famous soon enough werebeagle will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
Fred can't hold his breath that long!!!! but I like the idea....
Alex

Then maybe you should get him a hooka rig.

Courtney's my Dancing Angel

Where am I, and where's my paddle?
It's not impossible, it just costs more.
Give me ambiguity, or give me something else.