Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-25-2007

SuzieWong is on a distinguished road
battery charger for solar and wind

Hello,

after the boat (Hunter466) moved to a swing mooring I installed a windgenerator (Superwind350). Actually I am quiet happy with the unit, but as often discussed, the outcome does not meet the energy requirements. So I want to beef up with solar panels. 3 panels each 130W installed on the Bimini will block the direct view from helm to mast, but I could use the space to a maximium and fit the panels neately next to each other.
Then the question of the battery charger: the windgenerator gives less voltage than a solar panel in direct sun and needs dump resistance in case the batteries are fully charged. The solar panels put out higher voltage and work more economically with MPPT chargers. Now the question to all electric freaks: How do I wire the both different chargers onto my battery bank that they do not interfere with each other and both charge the batteries instead dumping the energy into the resistors. Is there any brand of charger with suits my needs: different inputs for different sources: wind of up to 350W, solar of up to 400W, MPPT, dump resistor outlet (the windgenerator needs permanent load) and (but this is not a must) another outlet to keep the engine start battery charged as well.

Any help or comments appreciated.

Hanno
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Most solar panel have blocking diodes.

With that large of an array, I would use a Outback MPPT controller for the solars. You can wire them in series.

I have been told that many people have run their winds into their outback. I do not have direct experience with this.

Call Norhtern Arizona Wind. Here is their web site. Solar Electric Systems & Solar Panels

Ask for Ryan. Good guy. Knowledgeable. Tell him I sent you over (probably won't get you a discount, in fact with all the grief I have given him, he might charge you more!!!). Anyways, you can look through their web site too. Neat stuff.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-25-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
I would not use diodes from Rat Shack for this. Even if they had the correct (low voltage drop, high power) diodes, diodes cause a voltage loss and that means a power loss in the system all the time. They can be cheap and effective but they are also a crude solution--and not easily spec'd from Radio Shack.

Better to go with an MPPT controller that has multiple inputs and can provide way more power to the batteries. After a bit more damage to your wallet.
Old 05-25-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Rick, Rat Shack has been doing so little component business that in many stores the little stock remaining has been moved to parts bins in the back room--literally.

While they may have high power diodes, a 300W panel array means roughly 20 amps at 15 volts, and a properly chosen diode would then be at least a 30A rated part. Sure, you can get diodes with a 0.7V drop, but wouldn't you rather use diodes meant for the application, with only a 0.2 or 0.3 volt drop? The difference is that a lower-loss diode will allow you to keep charging the battery while the source voltage has dropped 4/10ths of a volt--which is a significant difference when you consider 4/10ths of a volt is also a 40% difference in battery charge state.

I don't know how long ago the college classes were, but you might want to check out the local RS stores. These days? Cell phones, noisy toys, batteries, and $5 cables priced at $21.99 are about it.

And those low-loss diodes? I'm vaguely thinking Schottky or Fast Epitaxial? 25V rated (minimum for a 17-20V raw supply) 30A or better? Sorry, RS doesn't carry low-loss power diodes at all. The only thing they currently stock is a 25A 50V regulator diode bridge. Wasting .4v at 25A all day long, if you have to go that way. Maybe that's only 6 watts for ten hours?...but it's still a waste. 21 or 22 kWh per year? (Remember, I'm not licensed to practice mathematics.)
Old 05-26-2007

multiple inlet chager

Thanks for the replies.
As I want to buy a MPPT charger anyway I would not mind spending few more bucks to get one with multiple inlets. It's only that I searched the web four hours and didn't find any info that there is one on the market. Plus it should have an outlet for the dump resistors in case the batteries are charged. To complicate it more: The windgenerator needs dump resistors. But what about the solar panels? As far as I know they can be just ignored by the charger when batteries are full. So the charger should be able to differentiate between the two inlets, otherwise I have a sauna in the cabin (or the water starts boiling once I connected a 12V water heater) when leaving the boat at the mooring for too long.
Anybody knows a brand for MPPT chargers with multiple inlets?
Old 05-26-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Suzie...this is not Mppt but might be the solution you need for the wind gen and will also handle solar but not as efficiently as an mppt. You can divert excess current to your water heater!
NC25A Series Regulator - Fourwinds Enterprises
Old 05-26-2007

stoutwench is on a distinguished road
Get an OutBack MPPT, not one from BlueSky. BlueSky's only has one input point and they are not marinized.

After a year, our BlueSky MPPT unit no longer gives us a display because moisture has corroded it. BlueSky will not cover it under warranty even though water never came in direct contact with it. They are NOT for marine use.

Run the wind gen to a seperate bank from the solar, then combine the two banks with an automatic battery combiner. This configuration has worked great for us.

Good Luck

Last edited by stoutwench; 05-26-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-26-2007
Plausible Deniability

Rick-
I didn't miss the parts cabinet. As I said, my local store has moved it to the back room, like X-rated video tapes. I've seen some stores that still have parts racks, others that don't, I'm guessing it depends on how much volume they do with it. RS used to have an ironclad inventory set by Corporate in Texas (in the 80's) and I hope they've gotten smarter and allowed the managers to order what is needed these days.

But those diodes from West? They're only 8A diodes. With typical engineering criteria, that makes them suitable for a 4A panel...maybe a 50-75W panel and that's it. No good for Susie's panels, even if she installed one per each panel. And, I'd bet they have a full 0.7V drop. Not that they can't be made to do the job--but they'll never do it terribly well.

Better to order from Mouser or Newark or DigiKey, where there are folks who can answer questions and tell you which parts do the job.
Old 08-31-2007

got it installed.
all three panels, and wind generator.
works all fine, and wow, sun was shining last days and I managed to run de-hundifier for 30min/day, plus toaster, coffee machine,... wthout thinking of starting the genset.
trick is two separate chargers:
the standard parallel charge controller for wind with dump resistors
the series charge controller for solar with additional load outlet (set to divert ecxess energy into 12V appliances like cooling box, fans)
Old 09-02-2007
Plausible Deniability

"I beleive that Cam posted running it to the hot water heater, which I would assume would be inverted first? "
What, you can't run a hot water heater on 12vdc? (As a dump, it might even be more efficient to run it on 12vdc.)

But I like the idea of seeing all sorts of deck & cabin lights being set up as a dump on a generator. Unless you could add in some exotic chemical battery, which took great amounts of power to 'charge' and stored excess that way?

Segue to Ghostbusters and the Ectoplasmic Containment device "DON'T PULL THAT SWITCH!" < G >