SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Teak deck Q (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/3296-teak-deck-q.html)

ekhar 02-11-2002 04:30 AM

Teak deck Q

I have been reading a fair amount of discussion on maintaining teak on the boat.
I have never been on a boat with teak deck until a few days ago.

I am looking to buy a boat and just saw a decent Sweden 34 with teak deck. So, here are my questions.

1. All the talk about what to use and how to use does it apply to cockpit only area or decks also? The broker has said that decks should NOT be treated as they get slippery. Just gentle cleaning and may be some teak oil.

2. The wood on deck & cockpit is grey, I''d REALLY like to see it come back to the natural warm color of teak. Again, the broker said that it would be a great expense and non-lasting. Any other ideas?

3. Some of the planks seem rough while others are smooth. Perhaps too agressive a cleaning by previous owners perhaps weathering. Can anyone recommend a professional outfit/person who can give advice/estimate on fixing/replacing some of the planks.

Lots of questions, I know. Appreciate all the input.

ekhar 02-11-2002 04:32 AM

Teak deck Q

as regards to Q3. The location is Long Island Sound close to New York City.

hamiam 02-11-2002 05:09 AM

Teak deck Q

While looking for the boat that I currently own, I looked at several boats with teak decks and, as such, did a fair bit of research on the care, maintenance, and expense of teak. Teak wood has been used successfully as decking on boats for hundreds of years. The wood itself is naturally oily and has alternating strips of hard and soft fibers. Use of aggressive cleaning solvents and the like has the tendency to remove the soft fibers and leave the hard ones given the appearance you currently see. The only way to rememdy this is to sand down the boards or replace them. While I would not put alot of faith in what the broker says, he is, indeed, correct about NOT "treating" the wood. Any paint, stain, etc. would cause the deck to be slippery and your wallet to get quite a bit lighter as it simply will not last. The whole point of teak decking is that it is a natural non-skid when left to its own merits. Grey IS the natural color of teak. Why not use teak oil? Well, the sun heats the teak oil, an organic oil, and microscopic organisms are attracted en mass for a free lunch. Thus causing the teak to turn black. There is some sort of non-organic teak oil out there that you might try as it supposedly does not attract these creatures. The people that I spoke with suggested a DAILY washing with a little soap and salt water. That''s it. No paint, stain, oil, etc. I would call Jimmy at the Jamestown (RI) Boat Yard. He and his crew have done numerous deck replacements on Swans and he can offer some good advice. The biggest problem with teak decks is that they all end up leaking eventually. The water gets trapped between the bottom of the wood and the fiberglass and casuses damage to both. Jimmy quoted me a price of $20K-$25K to replace the deck and fix the fiberglass on a boat that I was looking at. I posted my questions on www.woodenboats.com and got responses from folks who own boats with teak decks. Good luck.

davidk 02-11-2002 07:16 AM

Teak deck Q

I vote with Hamiam. Don''t try to treat teak. Our all woofden boat was built by traditional professional boatbuilders who follow the adage "what would our ancestors have done differently had they had the benefit of todays technology and matereials?" Hence they do like their epoxy (when properly used i.e. from new entirely encassing timber.

On our deck they laid a complete marine ply deck fully encassed and laid teak over, again sticking it all down with epoxy, and caulked (grouted!) with graphite dispersed in epoxy. Hence incredible strength and durability. Just a regular warm water wash and a good bit of elbow with a medium scrubbing brush (not too harsh).

ekhar 02-13-2002 10:21 AM

Teak deck Q

hamiam,

Don''t mean to be argumentative but why is it that when I look of pictures of boats for sale, the teak decks have a nice warm orange/tan color, not grey.

What do these people do to keep the good color and condition?

hamiam 02-13-2002 11:31 AM

Teak deck Q

Could be as simple as they wet the deck down before they took the picture or that it was recently oiled. Oiling the teak is not a big deal. Getting rid of the creatures that feed on the oil after it gets heated by the sun is. I fell in love with a boat with a teak deck, did my research, and came to the conclusion that I was unable to care for teak decks given my budget, distance to my boat, etc. Your situation may be different. I have a friend with a 56'' Swan and she has beautiful teak decks. Of coruse, the captain is out there every day washing them down. All that being said, don''t take my word for it. Ask around. I posted on www.woodenboat.com and got a number of responses. Good luck.

Bobola 02-20-2002 11:58 AM

Teak deck Q

I worked as a marine engineer on a number of boats that had teak decks. We always just washed them down along with the rest of the boat, and periodically lightly sanded them to keep them flat.

The best idea I ever heard of, concerning installation of teak decks, is to use something like West system epoxy to bond the wood to the boat, with a lot of weight on top to hold it down, rather than use fasteners. West system is expensive, but it eliminates screws, plugs and the eventual leaks.

When the teak plugs start ‘popping’, it’s a real pain to fix. You have to pull the screw, countersink the hole a bit more, put the screw back and glue in a new plug.

Ekhar, the decks look that way in the photos to sell the boat. The current owner of the boat and the broker selling it care nothing about the maintenance of the teak deck, they both just want to see it sold. To make it look good they put some kind of teak oil on it.

docket 03-09-2002 08:42 AM

Teak deck Q

I have a Kalik 44 that I am debating whether or not to replace the teak deck with new teak or nonskid. Has anyone done that project recently that could offer advice. I plan to have a local yard do the work. Surprisingly, the replacement with new teak is only 25% higher than nonskid paint application. Also, does anyone know anything about this boat?

Wega24 03-10-2002 05:48 PM

Teak deck Q

My boat has a teak deck. I clean it maybe once a month more like every 2 months. The teak is in great shape and because its on a wood deck it doesnt leak one bit.
I use teak cleaner and restorer once a year and a couple of quick runs with teak oil in spring and maybe one in the summer . Thats it. The people in the marina always clean their plastic boats, I dont. nothing shows up on the deck, while it is nice and grippy all year long.

I love my teak deck, much less work than plastic.

Thorsten