Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-29-2007

groundhog is on a distinguished road
sewage pump-out question..

Hello all,

I've never had a pump out before, and I am working on installing my head. So,..

Is it a pump out nozzel or hose?

Is the nozzel or hose flexible or rigid?

The reason I am asking is that I am wondering if I need a perfectly straight shot from the pump-out hatch to the spot where I want the sucker hose to bottom out (or can it be somewhat curved?).

Thanks,
Roy

ps. how much do pump outs cost? Per event or per gallon?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2007
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
It is a flexible hose with a rigid nozzle. See this thread for more info:

Will you pump out my head?
Old 05-29-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhog
Hello all,

The reason I am asking is that I am wondering if I need a perfectly straight shot from the pump-out hatch to the spot where I want the sucker hose to bottom out (or can it be somewhat curved?).

ps. how much do pump outs cost? Per event or per gallon?
The pump out fitting for the tank should go to the bottom of the tank, or very close to it. It doesn't have to be directly underneath the pump out deck fitting, but the straighter the hose runs, the better off you will be.

The cost for the service depends on where you are. Most are per event, but some areas, like where I sail, the use of pump out facilities is generally free.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-29-2007

HeadHoncho is on a distinguished road
Most pumpout stations are funded by grants and are prohibited from charging more than $10.00/use. Many marinas find the bookkeeping involved to be not worth the hassle and so charge nothing. In the Bay Area, pumpout services run about $25.00 for a single service.

Last edited by HeadHoncho; 05-29-2007 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-30-2007
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhog
Hello all,

The reason I am asking is that I am wondering if I need a perfectly straight shot from the pump-out hatch to the spot where I want the sucker hose to bottom out (or can it be somewhat curved?)
Please forgive me if I misunderstand but from your question it seems like you have a mistaken idea of the usual set up.
To be clear, you will have a tank, with a pick up intalled either to a fitting at the bottom of one of the sides, or in the top with a pick up straw reaching almost to the bottom. Then you will have a hose, as straight as possible leading to a deck fitting, clearly labelled. The pumpout hose will be flexible, but will have a fitting on the end which will either be rubbery and conical, to be pressed and held into the opening of the deck fitting or there will be a female camlock fitting which will require you to thread it's male counterpart into your deck fitting temporarily each time you pump out.
The pumpout hose will not be inserted into your tank.
Again, sorry if I misunderstood, but it sounded to me as if you needed that cleared up.
Paul
Old 05-30-2007

groundhog is on a distinguished road
THanks for the info.

I surely didn't understand the process. In my mind, I thought that they would insert a hose down into my system.

At least it sounds like my hose from the deck hatch to the holding tank hardware does not have to be perfectly straight.

gh
Old 05-30-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
There is no hose inserted into the deck pumpout fitting past the actual nozzle of the pumpout hose itself. That is often a screw-in modular type connector. The air pressure from the vent and the head itself will force the contents of the holding tank into the hose, once vacuum is applied to the hose.

As a general rule, I leave the bowl of the head filled with water when I go to pumpout the holding tank.... by monitoring the level of the water in the bowl, I can easily tell when the holding tank has been fully drained... as it will drain the bowl of the head as a final part of the process, and effectively rinse the holding tank and hoses a bit.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.