Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-29-2007
It's the Appeal of Steel

Tubsmacker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Tubsmacker
Hot Sun, Warm Beer!! Help needed!!! (fridge failure)

Hi Guys, I've got a fridge problem with an Isotherm ASU 3200 12V UNIT

It's a self build kit which has 3 major components seperate fronm the cool box.
It has a winged plate device which attaches to the compressor which the chandlers in England describe as a the compressor thermostat.

There is a replacement part for this system which I am being asked to pay £300 for ($600) which I think is excessive for what appears to be only 25% of a 13 year system that might not even work if I replace this part as I don't know why it failed initially. the chandler wants around $1400 to $1500bfor the latest version that looks prety similar in the photos.

I just want cold food and beer. I have manged to reduce the stress here in Portugal by lowering the beer into the water which makes it drinkable cold for now.

Can anyone offer some advice on the best route forward? Are these thermostadt thingies repairable? (this one smelt like burning plastic and has obvious signs of over-heating)

Yours hopefully

Tubs UK (Boat in Portugal)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2007

wildcard is an unknown quantity at this point
I have decided, I think, to not repair my onboard frig system and use a super insulated ice chest and one of the portable ice makers...This is untill I can leave for months on end.
Old 05-29-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Tubs...here is the isotherm manual:
http://www.great-water.com/pdf/Isoth...3200ASUman.pdf

If this is what you have...then it is a conventional holding plate compressor systm with a separate thermostat control panel. I don't know what the wingd plate is unless you are referring to th stsainless steel holding plate which sits inside the fridge box. The Thermostat itself is attached to the holding plate and a wire runs from it to the control panel. If you are being quoted $600 for JUST the thermostat that is pretty outrageous...but if for both holding plate and thermostat then it is pretty normal. The total price of $1400 bucks for a complete new system sounds resonable also. You can get cheaper complete units that will cool things down...but not as well as a holding plate...around $1000.
Old 05-29-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
You can also get an Engel 45 for around $650 and it only draws .07 amps.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-29-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second the call for an Engel M45. PS just rated them as best small refrigerator in a recent issue. Also, can work on both 12 VDC and AC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-30-2007
It's the Appeal of Steel

Hi Guys and Thanks for the input. Cam, the holding plate is hidden in the fridge box. The bit that has gone is attached to the compressor with a 3 pin push on I think the description is the 'electronic control unit' in the manual that you very kindly sent me the link for.

I rang the manufacturer from the phone number on that manual and they were very helpful and are sending me the part I need for about $320 which is quite acceptable. The English suppliers knew exactly what I needed and sought to 'spank' me for $600. Thanks to you Cam, I am now on the right path for cold beer sooner rather than later.

Thanks Sailnet ,and to everyone who answered my 'warm beer mayday'

I also stumbled upon a mini beer keg with pump in a local supermarket that is currently at a depth of about half a metre cooling off!

Regards,
Tubs
Old 05-30-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Well that seems to have worked out rather well! Have a cold one and smack a few tubs for me!! (Would you also ask Michael Owen to start pulling his weight!!??)
Old 07-03-2014
It's the Appeal of Steel

Re: Hot Sun, Warm Beer!! Help needed!!! (fridge failure)

Well guys, history has repeated itself and this time the compressor
Has failed. I have called isotherm and they tell me that spares are no longer available for the 3200 model. I believe that it's a Danfoss 12v compressor.
Does anyone have any ideas? Or what would be the best most efficient unit to replace it with these days?

Any ideas gratefully received!

Last edited by Tubsmacker; 07-03-2014 at 10:27 AM. Reason: missing info
Old 07-03-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Instead of tossing good money down a rathole, I would go with the Engel - hard to beat and built like a tank. I only know of two boats with the Engel 45 and they love them.

Gary
Old 07-03-2014
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubsmacker View Post
Well guys, history has repeated itself and this time the compressor
Has failed. I have called isotherm and they tell me that spares are no longer available for the 3200 model. I believe that it's a Danfoss 12v compressor.
Does anyone have any ideas? Or what would be the best most efficient unit to replace it with these days?
Any ideas gratefully received!
Danfoss Compressors in 12 v units almost never fail. it's more often the module that runs them. (just as expensive) Sadly, it costs as much sometimes more to have these little systems fixed as it is to buy new.

I used a Norcold for the ice box in my boat. Engel & Norcold both use "swing compressors" and draw less amps then the danfoss.

PDF manual, doubt this will help. http://great-water.com/store/PDF/fil...200-3700v2.PDF

Also Kollman may be of some help I think he's retired but still has an online business
Kollmann Marine

My boat is for sale.