Replacing SeaCock Gate Valve with Marine Ball Valve - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-31-2007

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Cam...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
Wood (marine ply or Teak) is fine but once you have it "fitted" well to the hull form then coat it with epoxy to avoid deterioration and then bond it to your hull using 3M 4200 or the equivilent. Note that the screws into the wood are just to keep it from turning. the real strength of the application is from the compression of the screw threads.
Cam the screws on flanged sea cocks are meant to go all the way throught he hull and they are not designed to be "wood screwed" into the backing plate. The idea of a flanged through hull is that you have multiple fastening points including the through hull and the three silicon bronze machine bolts..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2007

saurav16 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to saurav16
Helekai,

I was looking at this apollo fitting

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|106370|813148|319675&id=142110

It is bronze but silver in color. Could you use a standard bronze thru hull fitting that is bronze in color?
Old 05-31-2007

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
It looks silver but..

The picture makes it look silver but I'm fairly sure it's bronze in color. Always use bronze srews with bronze sea cocks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-31-2007

Halekai,

The through hull has to be purchased as well. I was looking at mushroom style bronze ones. They have a threading and a nut that threads on. Does the seacock also screw onto the threading of the thru hull? If so are the threads standard?
Old 05-31-2007

pigslo is on a distinguished road
Countersink the flathead machine screws from the outside of the hull and cover and fair with thickened epoxy. Hopefully your hull is thick enough to do this. Take advantage of being out of the water.
pigslo
Old 05-31-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurav16
Halekai,

The through hull has to be purchased as well. I was looking at mushroom style bronze ones. They have a threading and a nut that threads on. Does the seacock also screw onto the threading of the thru hull? If so are the threads standard?
Yes you need to also buy the thru hull. It threads into the sea **** but you don't need the nut if using with a real sea ****. Depending on your hull thickness you may need to cut the through hull a bit shorter, with a hack saw, or it will bottom out in the sea **** before it's tight. Apply 4200 to the threads after the sea **** has been mounted and beded. Then thread in the through hull from the out side using a liberal amount of 4200 around the mushroom head. It's imperative that you do a dry fit to m ake sure all lines up and fits well before applying 4200... I buy all mine from Hamilton Marine. My new boat is actually on the hard and I'm doing this exact upgrade as we discuss it here. So far I have about $450.00 tied up just in bronze......

Last edited by Maine Sail; 05-31-2007 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-31-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Halekai- Since you are the local expert, can you thread the seacock on over the thruhull nut? When I threaded the ball valve onto the thru hull it threaded on pretty well, but was "stiff". (now I know why) Good thing I'm not a plummer. I'm not sure I have room for the flanged seacock (near motor mount and not much clearance.), if not is there a thread adapter to get to the type of thread on the ball valve.

FYI, it's almost under the engine with exactly zero chance of anything ever rolling, sliding, falling, dropping, or otherwise moving into / onto it.
Old 05-31-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Halekai...I thought he was talking about the base of the sea-**** AFTER he puts the threaded compression mount thru hull like this:

Followed by something like this.

Actually...I prefer all Marelon fittings as I find them both reliable and less prone to seizing up...and easliy un frozen.
Old 05-31-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Marelon doesn't corrode either.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-01-2007

Where do you guys order these fittings from?