Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-09-2009

floatsome is on a distinguished road
Warm is probably OK, but the only hot one I encountered failed, and it was so hot we worried about its proximity to the propane. A yard said to tap it to get the plunger working. The heat was due to poor electrical contact. It kept seizing, so it got replaced. But not before we had to go two days at sea without coffee, then remembered the boat had an inverter and small microwave...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I don't get the safety aspect of a solenoid, it sounded like a safety hazard to me so I opted not to install one. when we're done with the stove, we turn the tank valve off, bleed off the LPG then shut the stove off........imo it's safe & simple, uninterupted from reg to stove

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 05-10-2009
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
I don't get the safety aspect of a solenoid, it sounded like a safety hazard to me so I opted not to install one. when we're done with the stove, we turn the tank valve off, bleed off the LPG then shut the stove off........imo it's safe & simple, uninterupted from reg to stove
I think the solenoid is more for convince than safety.
Old 05-10-2009
Bender of Nails

Deadeye is on a distinguished road
Xintex makes a pretty good safety system whereby the solenoid is powered through LPG sensors - any leaks and the solenoid kicks off. I think they can also receive input from a CO monitor, though I've never wired one that way.
Old 05-10-2009
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
My solenoid is also part of a safety control system made by Trident. There are two sensors that turn the solenoid off if they detect propane gas. It is very convenient because all we need to do when we cook is press a button in the galley and the propane is ready to go.
Old 05-27-2009

davmarwood is on a distinguished road
Propane Solenoid Hot

The prior owner of our boat installed a propane system with a solenoid and a Xintex propane "sniffer". We have been using it without any problems for all of the '08 and the beginning of the '09 season. When the solenoid is activated to allow propane to flow into the lines, it always gets quite warm - warm enough that you wouldn't want to hold your hand on it for more than a few seconds. Because I know heat = energy, I have made a habit of turning the solenoid off ASAP after use. When not in use, the solenoid is room temp. I believe this is normal.