SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Is a propane Solenoid supposed to be hot ??? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/33116-propane-solenoid-supposed-hot.html)

Sailormann 06-01-2007 12:25 AM

Is a propane Solenoid supposed to be hot ???

Just put in a new propane control system. Tested it tonight and it works but the solenoid gets quite hot when it is open. Is this normal or is my boat going to explode ???? :( :( :(

Hubec 06-01-2007 12:44 AM

Since I don't have any specific knowledge I'll just state the obvious (an Internet forum tradition :) ). If it's getting hot it's using a lot of electricity, that means it's not desirable on a boat. Which leads me to believe what's happening isn't normal or desirable and possibly dangerous. I'd take it out immediately.

jrd22 06-01-2007 12:44 AM

Ours gets quite warm, not so hot that you can't touch it. Most coils will be warm when energized, but I would call the dealer you bought it from for peace of mind and ask how hot is normal.

Sailormann 06-01-2007 12:57 AM

Thanks for the information ... I'll see if I can measure the temp with a thermometer and then contact the manufacturer. If it's happening with others it's probably normal, but I've always had alcohol stoves before and am a bit cautious about this propane stuff.

I hired someone to install it, and was wondering if it had been wired up to both battery banks in error somehow...

sailingdog 06-01-2007 07:27 AM

Unfortunately, solenoids, due to their nature, eat a fair amount of electricity and can warm up quite a bit. I don't have a solenoid on my boat, and just turn off the valve at the tank after I'm done cooking.

trantor12020 06-01-2007 08:08 AM

Mine is hot as well. Initially was ok for a year. After that I guess the coil get weaken by the heat and would release the plunger after 5-10 mins shutting off the gas. So to cut down on the heat, I pass the switch-on voltage to a small 12V handphone car charger and tweak it to output just about 7VDC. Just enough to activate the solenoid for gas to flow. Its no longer hot, just slightly warm. Works great.

Sailormann 06-01-2007 09:09 AM

I guess I had better call the Manufacturer. This system cost a fair buck and I am not prepared to replace a solenoid every 12 months...

Thanks for the information !

donradclife 06-02-2007 09:58 AM

The solenoid coil draws about 1 amp, or 12 watts, which means that it will get warm with time, and also means that you don't want your wife to leave it on when she is not cooking. On the bright side, it will dry it out when it gets wet...ours has lasted over 12 years because we carry a spare.

sailingdeac 05-09-2009 09:27 PM

Sailorman....Did you ever find out whether a hot solenoid is reasonable? Mine has many years on it, and I just discovered that it gets quite hot. SInce yours was a new one and still was hot, what did the mfg tell you.

Sailormann 05-09-2009 09:31 PM

The manufacturer emailed me saying that the solenoid would get warm during use. Since then I have not worried about it and everything seems to be fine.