SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Restoring shine to metal parts (cleats, port hole metal) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/33186-restoring-shine-metal-parts-cleats-port-hole-metal.html)

saurav16 06-03-2007 05:25 PM

Restoring shine to metal parts (cleats, port hole metal)

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone knew how to take of the corrosion off of cleats and port hole metal pieces. All of the metal around my port holes holding the plexi glass have dulled out. The same with the cleats they are all a dull grey. Have any of you restored the shine? If so how? Thanks!

sailhog 06-03-2007 05:42 PM

those green scotchbright pads might work.

T37Chef 06-03-2007 05:42 PM

Miracle Cloth

Miracle Cloth is the way to go!!! Heres a link to the Practical Sailor review Metal Cleaners

BTW...works great on stainless at home too, only thing that got rid of water spots on the appliances

tommyt 06-03-2007 05:46 PM

I swear by Prism Polish. Found it at a Strictly Sail show a few years ago and have ordered more directly from them since. It not only cleans metal including stainless and aluminum, but my favorite is that it also deoxidizes fiberglass. I use it on my sailboat but more importantly it restores the deep blue of a powerboat that I have in about 1/4 the time it used to take. I do not have any really bad metal that I have restored, but their presentation at Strictly Sail sure worked. They let the customer apply it to show how little you need.

Website is MP Pros: Metal polish and finish restorer and they have a 877 # of 377-5112. Cost is not cheap by any means but a little goes a long way. Example, this spring I did the entire cockpit, and decks of my 34' sailboat, plus the entire topsides and deck of a 21' SeaRay, plus a Sea Doo with a 2 pound jar for $40. Then I gave a neighbor the balance to restore the color to an old Sunfish that had not seen wax in about 20 years. He returned the balance to me.Thjey also sell 8 oz and 1 lb jars.

Thanks for reminding me, I need to reorder.
Guess I like the stuff. Wonder if I can get a commission?

sailingdog 06-03-2007 06:44 PM

I would recommend the Miracle Cloth, which you can get from West Marine for about $8.00 or so. They've consistently proven themselves top-performers in Practical Sailor's tests again and again. Then I would hit them with Flitz Metal Polish, using one of the Flitz Polish ball applicators.

soul searcher 06-03-2007 07:03 PM

after you get it cleaned up Colonite 850 is the best protection. I use it on the stainless and alluminum on my fishing boats and have not found any thing that protects better. stay away from acids if you can they make it worse in the long run. Havent tried the flitz. but the miracle cloths are the wifes favorites, followed by the colinite cause she doesn't have to use the cloths as much:D

sailaway21 06-03-2007 07:26 PM

If the items you are looking to polish are aluminum as I assume they are, you are going to have to coat them with something or they will soon return to their current state. Aluminum oxidation actually protects the metal below with a protective layer of oxidation. I'd probably wax them after cleaning. Spray-on clear acrylics will flake off like old varnish, but sooner.(g) I've heard good things about Colonite as well.

saurav16 06-03-2007 10:30 PM

Is miracle cloth just a cloth or does it have some chemical cleaner on it? Also so I just wipe it with that then use like collinite to bring the shine back and it should also protect it?

sailingdog 06-03-2007 10:35 PM

The Miracle Cloths are impregnated with a polish/cleaner. Then you should use some protective coating to help preserve the clean surface. I've never used or heard of Colonite, but it sounds like a possible good choice.

Sailormann 06-03-2007 10:39 PM

I use something called "Orange Glo". Works very well. On things other than aluminum, that are REALLY corroded, I start with a BRIEF bath in muriatic acid (available at swimming pool supply houses), wash them off thoroughly with water and then use Orange Glo.