Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-17-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Hey Hawkeye,
Could you take that post and tack it on the end of every anchor thread on sailnet? After that, if you're feeling really inspired, could you come up with a similar thread closer for the "Solar World" thread? (g) Compensation negotiable.
Old 06-18-2007
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainPOIRAUD
Our indiscreet camera , came unexpectedly upon this new version of the Rocna anchor..
A brief refutation.

This post is completely false and clearly intended to disparage the Rocna product and defame the people associated with it. Rather than expressing the valid opinion of the author, it makes use of false accusations and fraudulent material.

As Poiraud is the designer of a product which competes with the Rocna, it is assumed that motive and intent is obvious and easily demonstrable. It is regrettable that a competitor would need to resort to fabricating stories in order to pursue their agenda, rather than providing valid and honest arguments -

Actually scratch all that, we may as well admit it. Poiraud, in his full-time quest for dirt on us, has managed to dig up the designs for our prototype “Rocna Supreme”. In order to avoid lowering the tensile strength of the shank by profile cutting a slot, we intend to just use wood, instead of steel. Hey, if it was good enough for the ancient Romans… In the pursuit of finding a novel and hence patentable design, we will also be using glass for the fluke (just try copying us now Manson!). Beta testers for this prototype are invited to submit requests!

Of course, as the roll-bar is clearly a terrible idea, and now proven not to work at all by numerous independent tests by reputable publications the world over, the NZ Navy, and Coastguard (not to mention all the complaints from everyone who’s bought one), we will also be replacing this with a tip insert as outlined in the Spade patent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2007

Sitaram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Sitaram
So it looks as it is true that Ronca is a copy,and it costs more to boot then the Manson?

I just bought the Manson and have not tried it yet, but it looks very well made, I also bought the Spade a140 (aluminum) last year- im not happy with it because it does not set well in hard sand, something I did not know until I used it $900 later, I use it as a second
Old 06-18-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitaram
So it looks as it is true that Ronca is a copy,and it costs more to boot then the Manson?

I just bought the Manson and have not tried it yet, but it looks very well made, I also bought the Spade a140 (aluminum) last year- im not happy with it because it does not set well in hard sand, something I did not know until I used it $900 later, I use it as a second
Actually, you've got it a bit backwards... the Manson Supreme came along after the Rocna did, and is probably loosely based on the design of the Rocna—not the other way around.

I have a 15 KG Ronca on my boat as my primary, and my only major complaint with it is that every time I've brought it back aboard, I have 20+ pounds of mud, sand, seaweed to clean off of it. It has never come back up clean.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-18-2007

AlainPOIRAUD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Smith
A brief refutation.
This photo has been taken yesterday at a big show about an hour south of Auckland (in a town called Hamilton (Mystery Creek Showgrounds), it’s an agricultural/farming/boating show. It is called Fieldays.

It was a brand new anchor on a brand new boat. From the looks of this it was made by Rocna too as it was all professionally lasercut.

If following your refutation, it is not made by ROCNA, I will suggest you, Craig, to have a rapid look at it and to take all necessary measures to stop a new anchor manufacturer from New Zealand to make knock-off copies of your anchor!
Old 06-18-2007
Anchorsmith

Arrow

Ah well that speaks volumes, why didn't you say?

Anyway, Alain, really we can be friends. Like you so eloquently put it, we also think slotted shanks are a terrible concept. We have never made a Rocna with a slot, and suspect the owner of this anchor has. Or was it Mr Photoshop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainPOIRAUD
(I do not have any commercial or financial relation with the Manson company)
A pity that didn't work out, isn't it? Well I suppose we should be pleased they instead chose another type to copy, perhaps it says something about the product...

Now we know there's no commercial or financial relation, but as to a personal relationship with people who have a nice little history of apparently fabricating their own version of the truth, perhaps you should check your sources more thoroughly?

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.
Old 06-18-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Smith
Or was it Mr Photoshop?
Hey...leave me out of this.......I did nothing...

(but check Ianhlnd or SimonV, they do photoshoping too, but theirs is really very very poor).
Old 06-18-2007
Anchorsmith

Cool

Soz Giu but you know you really don't want to associate with that guy Mr Photoshop, he gets into a lot of bad news these days...
Old 06-18-2007

AlainPOIRAUD is on a distinguished road
Well Craig,

Instead of making as usual personal attacks, against Mr Photoshop - why do not publish an (plausible) explanation explaining the origin of this anchor in the Fieldays agricultural/farming/boating show??.

Perhaps this anchor has been made by the same guy who has “modified” the test holding curves published by both Sail and Yachting Monthly??
Old 06-18-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I think you guys should go on Jerry Springer....

The name of the show:

My anchor designer slept with the other anchor designer and now we have little anchor twins.....who's the real father of my ancjor??

Crowd: Jerry...Jerry.....Jerry...Jerry....

Then......Oprah can make 54 shows dedicated to anchors, and distribute free anchors thru the black neighborhoods, and Doctor **** Phil, will take 2 white trash trailer park white couples, and teach them the disadvantages of using a 1981 Camaro on stands in the front yard as an anchor. He will also explain that mullets and shirst with no sleeves are no longer cool.

Last edited by Giulietta; 06-18-2007 at 10:44 AM.