Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Rocna-China? Is it made from melted down computer towers?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2008

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Mason Supreme

Many of the points made about the construction of the supreme appear at first glance to be well taken, but a Lloyd's certification that the Supreme has is more than a selling gemmick IMHO. I did buy a 45 lb Supreme this past spring having debated between it and the Rocna. As I get more experience with it under storm conditions, I'm liking it more and more. A couple of months ago spent a couple of nights on the hook under a full gale with gusts to 50 knots. The anchor did fine. I had only a 6 to 1 scope out, 80 ft of 3/8 inch BBB chain spliced to 3 strand 5/8 inch line and then a bridle tied to the rode. The boat is a Tayana 37 (about 16 ton displacement fully loaded).

My secondary anchor now is the 35 lb CQR which used to be my primary anchor. In fact it held the boat under hurricane conditions(only a Cat 1) some years ago. Never will stay aboard the boat again during a hurricane. The problem that I saw was not so much about the anchor dragging, but rather the chafe on the 5/8 inch line. That 5/8 inch line looked like a banjo string druing those conditions.

I'm now trying to figure out how to stop the boat from swinging back and forth so much. The bridle does help and a riding sail may be the next step, but now sure how much wind such a set up can take.
Old 12-30-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
lance
do you use 2 lines for the bridle, one from each cleat?
Old 12-30-2008

betodas is on a distinguished road
I recently saw one at WM and loved it's look. Though I have to be honest, the hoop looks a little weird. The finish of the anchor looks good. I have a Spade and I like the look without the hoop. Due to price though, my next anchor will surely be a Supreme or Raya (I like to support fellow Brazillians).
Old 12-30-2008

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
bridle

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
lance
do you use 2 lines for the bridle, one from each cleat?
Yes, two 1/2 inch braded lines tied with a climbers knot to the 5/8 inch rode. I forget the name of the climber's knot that I'm using but a google search of knots will bring it up. The 1/2 inch may be a bit small, but that knot works best when tying a smaller diameter line to a larger diameter rode. I also keep the bridle very short which seems to limit the swing and the rudder locked on certerline.
Old 07-28-2012

phil@dtfyachts.com is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Manson Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
No, it was built by Hartmut Geisenhause in 1988 in Kingston to a design commissioned from Phil Friedman, N.A., who now runs Port Royal Group Yachts in Florida. "Officially", it's a Kodiak 41, Hull No. 1, and Friedman made Hull No. 2 for himself, only that one has a canoe stern.

Here's a low-res side view that shows her lines to advantage:

Actually to clarify the information which is remarkable close to fact after all these years...the vessel design was originally called the "Kodiak Cruiser 41", and was a custom design for an Ontario couple who hired Helmut to build her in steel. I believe that she is one of the handsomest sailing cruisers that I ever designed, and represents the cruising ethos that predominated from the 1950s (bolstered by the writings of Eric Hiscock) through the 1980s, but which now seems to have waned significantly.

Anyway, her the 41's hull form is double chine, with the lower chine immersed, and the upper chine mostly above DWL. This form was selected to more closely approximate the look of a round-bottom form, while still retaining the ability to be built using sheet material without pre-forming her skin plates. I used a form of conic development that I refined to result in the chines fading out in to an almost continuous above-DWL surface in the forward 25% or so of the topsides. Displacement is moderate; and it is no surprise to me that she sails better than one might aniticpate, notwithstanding the fact that her original owner opted for a rig that was shorter than I recommended. I sold several sets of plans for the 41, and I would be pleased to hear if anyone knows of a 41 built in aluminum.

My personal boat was not hull #2 of the 41, but rather was a Kodiak Cruiser 37, which I designed as a tribute to Jack Hanna's "Little Bear". The 37 was double-ended, with short overhangs, long waterline, and a heavy displacement at 36,000 lbs. at half-load. She was flush decked, with a foredeck well, and had a mid-ship wheelhouse, with a second helm at the after end of that house. I sailed and lived aboard her for more than seven years, and sold her in 1990.

The other member of the series was the Kodiak Cruiser 33, also a double-ender, but with a mid-ship doghouse style fixed shelter open at it's aft end and placed over a self-draining cockpit well. Several of these were built in various places around the world, and one that I know of made a successful full circumnavigation of the Pacific rim.

Thank you all for bringing back some fond memories. I'd be pleased to receive any information, and especially any photos you may have of Kodiak Cruisers. You can reach me at plf@portroyalgroup.com. If you do, I'll be happy to send you a free copy of my latest e-book, "Ten Golden Rules for Successful Yacht Build Projects."

Cheers and thanks to all.

Phil Friedman
Old 07-28-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Manson Supreme

Holy thread resurrection! but of a good cause. Nice to hear from yacht designers. I am sure Val has lots of photos to share of his 41. It is being well outfitted for a long cruse.
Old 1 Week Ago

Ispedbyu is on a distinguished road

We had several anchors in the bay/delta area, none of which would be reliable for our 24000 lb boat. I finally went ashore on a sandy beach, set a delta/plow swivel in the sand and literally drug it right off the beach and under water.
I bought a 55 lb Manson Supreme. The FIRST test was an instant set, I have not had anything but an intstant sets the very first time - so far everytime.
Group9 likes this.
Old 1 Week Ago

Patient is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
Rocna-China? Is it made from melted down computer towers?
*snort* I woke the neighbors with that one, hehe.