Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2007

Julie303 is on a distinguished road
Manson Supreme

Does anyone have any experience with the Manson Supreme anchor? I'm looking for a good all-purpose anchor to use in Florida - sand and mud bottoms, reversing tides/currents.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2007

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
I have one..

I own a Manson Supreme and until I bought my ROCNA it was my primary anchor. When you put the two (Manson & Rocna) side by side there is no doubt that the Rocna is a slightly better built anchor. Over all my Manson is a great performer, far better than my CQR, Delta or Bruce, but the Rocna is all that too.

I currently own two CQR's, two Spades (one aluminum and one steel), one Bruce, two Fortress's, one Delta, one Manson Supreme and one Rocna. I'm not slamming my other anchors but they are like comparing a Yugo to a Lexus. They all get you from point A to point B but the Lexus does it better, much better, the Spade steel, Manson Supreme and Rocna are all Lexus level anchors...

The Rocna should be considered a mooring it's that good...

My personal ranking of the anchors I own:
#1 Rocna
#2 Manson Supreme
#3 Steel Spade
#4 Fortress (for directional pulls only)
#5 Aluminum Spade
#6 Delta
#7 Bruce
#8 CQR

The picture below is strictly for surface area comparison. The CQR on the left is a 25Lb. the Manson is a 24Lb. and the Spade is a 35Lb.. As you can see a 24Lb. Rocna type anchor has far more surface area per pound of weight. The 35Lb. Rocna I own is approx 33% larger in surface area than my 35Lb. CQR....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 03-23-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-04-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second the Rocna over the Manson. Manson anchors are usually knock-offs and as such have some limitations that the originals that they are copied from do not have. The primary anchor on my boat is a 15 kg Rocna.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-05-2007

kavakava is on a distinguished road
Been real happy with our 45# MS. Much better than the Delta that came with the boat. Sets quicker and holds better, and I sleep better.
Old 06-05-2007
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
Just in case it wasn't already clear, I'm going to flog the dead horse and point you to this page on the Manson Supreme.

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.

Last edited by Craig Smith; 07-08-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-05-2007

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Smith
Just in case it wasn't already clear, I'm going to flog the dead horse and point you to this page on the Manson Supreme.
Craig-

I just put a Rocna 40 on my boat. I figured it would be big but I had no idea.
I was afraid that it wouldn't fit the bow roller but fortunatly it did. However the thing looks like a sheild Add the spinniker pole and I'm good for some sailboat jousting.

Everyone one on the dock asked what that was and commented they never heard of Rocna. You need better marketing in the US
2007 Hunter 49
Old 06-14-2007

AlainPOIRAUD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Smith
Just in case it wasn't already clear, I'm going to flog the dead horse and point you to this page on the Manson Supreme
Again and again and ALWAYS again!..

When your are not complaining about the Poiraud's anti-competition campain...

.. you are floging your dead horse against the MANSON SUPREME.

What is your personal problem Craig??

THE MANSON SUPREME IS NOT A COPY OF THE ROCNA Knock off!..

1° - The shape of the fluke of the two anchors is different:
- ROCNA : CONCAVE shape – a DIRECT COPY of the SPADE anchor
- The MANSON SUPREME – Cylindrical shape – most likely like the curve of the Bruce anchor

2° - The “Roll Bar’” at the back of the fluke:
- Both are copying the design of the Bügel anchor – which was not an original design, already patented by Peter BRUCE 30 years ago!

3° - The shape of the Shank:
- ROCNA shank is very similar to the one of the DELTA anchor.
- The sloted shank of the Manson anchor is completely different

The ONLY similarity between both anchors is that they both are made in New Zealand

After testing both models, WEST Marine choose to represent.. the MANSON SUPREME anchor!
Is it because the Supreme is acheiving short-cuts during construction and poorly understood variations to the design. ??

Personally I don’t believe that

(I do not have any commercial or financial relation with the Manson company)
Old 06-17-2007

AlainPOIRAUD is on a distinguished road
THE ROCNA KNOCK-OFF IS COPYING THE MANSON SUPREME..

Our indiscreet camera , came unexpectedly upon this new version of the Rocna anchor..

As you can obviously see, this Rocna anchor is now copying the sloted shank of the Manson Supreme anchor!..

Copying would seem ethically wrong. . If a manufacturer can only copy the developments of others, what else is he not capable of? Building a knock-off anchor is not like copying a music CD; there are subtle but very important aspects to the original anchor which are critical but may be ignored by the copier.

From my own point of view, the slot is a fundamental problem that apart from being a bad idea in the first place, creates all sorts of complications including:
  • reducing the weight-on-tip of the anchor because extra steel needs to be added to reinforce the shank
  • adding an extra two lengthy profile cuts to the shank, which is bad because the heat of the gas profile cutter can destroy the tensile strength of the metal.
  • increases the height of the shank which creates problems on bow-rollers; if it comes up upside down or sideways, it may not right itself, balancing on the side of the shank, and so jamming, or if it does right itself it does so violently. If you look at the older popular anchors like the CQR and Bruce, you'll see they have relatively shallow profile shanks – for a reason.
  • Rocna themselves even admit the slot is less than useful, but now, after copying from the Supreme the fixation of the roll bar on the side of the fluke, they also adopt the sloted shank!…
Where will they stop their copying process and how long before the Rocna will be a genuine… copy of the Supreme??
Old 06-17-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I'm lost now....who copied who???
Old 06-17-2007

Hawkeye25 is on a distinguished road
Both the manson supreme and the rocna will fail to bury deeply in firm sand because they have A BIG STUPID HOOP THAT DOES NOT WANT TO PENETRATE THE BOTTOM. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see the HUGE resistance element that silly-ass rocker rod represents, but you do have to have tunnel vision to completely ignore it's presense and negative effect.

Haliekia, or whatever, has a brand spanking new spade that has never seen water, never mind the bottom of an anchorage, yet he feels perfectly competent to rank it with the other anchors. He's just got that old 'anchor love' and buys them all.

I think all you guys are so sold on the salesmans rhetoric that you don't have a clue what anchors work and what don't. You just like the song they sing and follow that 'girl band' for a while. Except Guilietta. By the way, smoking hot boat Guilietta. That horse will race.

I can take eight of the most popular anchors to a variety of locations and construct testing regimins that will produce winning results for each and every anchor. Anyone who doesn't know that hasn't anchored enough and knows very little indeed about product marketing. And spare me the insipid protestations about your favorite company's sterling moral code that would prohibit them from tilting the playing field in their favor - the very purpose of the test is to tilt the field and produce sales and nothing else.