Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-05-2007

dorourke is on a distinguished road
dual battery setup.

I needed to replace my batteries, they were old and not chargable any more. I ran to West Marine to get one to start the engine. I bought a West Marine Sea Volt Deep Cycle 75 amps per hour. Do I need to have the same type battery for the second one, or can I get away with a cheeper and less performing one?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2007

nightowle is on a distinguished road
what kind of boat do you have, and what do you usually run on electric?
Seattle, WA

“Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse” To Sail is vital, to live is not.
Old 06-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If they're going to be part of a single battery bank, then you really should get two of the same batteries to reduce problems caused by different charging/discharging rates. If they're going to be separate banks, then you can get a different battery, but I would stick with the same type of battery—if you have a wet cell, get another wet cell, etc...

75 Amp-Hours is a pretty small house bank, and unless you are running your engine all the time to re-charge the batteries or don't use much in the way of electronics, you probably want to get more capacity in your house bank.

It would help if you said what kind of boat you have as well as what kind of charging capabilities you have aboard—high-capacity alternator, wind generator, solar panels, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-05-2007

OK. My boat is an S2 8.0B with an alternator and full charging capabilities. I only plan to use limited electrical, such as nav lights and radio when needed. So Sailingdog, what youre saying is if I get a lesser battery for my dual setup then the lesser battery might draw power from my better one when I use the both switch? I know the setup is in parralel. Woulden't it be like two gas tanks? The maine a higher octane with more capacity and the reserve with a lower grade as well as a smaller capacity?
Old 06-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
What I'm saying is that the batteries in a single battery bank should be of equal size age and chemistry type. If you mix battery sizes, the smaller battery will likely be overcharged and overdrawn much of the time... leading to a vastly shortened battery life. If you mix battery chemistries, then a wet-cell may not be fully charged while an AGM in the same bank is close to fully charged, since they have different charge acceptance rates due to their different chemistries.

If you have two separate battery banks, and only combine them in an emergency, like to start the engine... they can be different size batteries. I would still recommend you use the same type/chemistry of batteries unless your charger can handle multiple voltage outputs independently—most can't.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 06-05-2007

Ronbye is on a distinguished road
I also have to replace my batteries and I am thinking about changing my house battery to two 6 volt golf cart batteries and keep one 12 volt starting battery. Anybody have any suggestion as to what brands are reasonably priced. My funds are limited. As well, what do you think of this setup?
Old 06-05-2007
Telstar 28

Ronbye-

I have two Trojan T105 6V batteries as my house bank, but will probably add two more to make a larger house bank. It's a good way to go, and they provide a lot of power at a reasonable price. I wouldn't go cheap on the brand, since that usually ends up being a bit more expensive in the long run.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 06-06-2007

Sailingdog, although my head is spinning, I do understand what your saying about the draw factor and such. It's probably better to have the same two batteries. What is the advantage of a six volt over a twelve volt system?
Old 06-06-2007
Telstar 28

cost and size. Two T105 6VDC golf cart batteries give you a fairly decent small house bank of 210 Amp-hours when run in series for a fairly low price.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 06-06-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
cost and size. Two T105 6VDC golf cart batteries give you a fairly decent small house bank of 210 Amp-hours when run in series for a fairly low price.
So there would be no need for a dual batterie switch? I would just need an on or of switch? What if one batterie fails? woulden't that leave me without backup?