Not a Member? 
Old 06-11-2007
Wind Rookie

Anjin-San is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Anjin-San
Galvanic corrosion inside winch

Hi there!

When opening my winch (Enkes 18), I had a bad surprise:

At the alu-stainless joint of the axis (the part in which you stick your winch handle, -part #3 on this drawing-), the aluminium is badly corroded.
The hole on the picture is the drain that flushes water from inside the axis, which is stupid because it drains the water between the axis and the bronze stand, keeping the water in the joint, thus increasing the corrosion.
My plan is to grind a "gutter" in the stainless part just below the aluminium drain to the bottom of the stainless part, so water will be flushed oustide the winch quickly.

But before doing so, does anyone has a better idea?

I have read the article here on Sailnet about galvanic corrosion and a zinc anode should fix the problem. But where do I place the anode? on the stainless or the aluminium... or both?

In last resort, I will go to a machine shop and have a 100% stainless axis made.

Thank you for your input!
Marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Marc-

You can't really use a zinc in the case of something like this. You're much better off using a galvanic isolation washer made of thin plastic or galvanic isolation compound, like Lanocote or TefGel. I wouldn't go cutting grooves in the stainless part, as it might be used as a bearing surface to some degree. Cutting a gutter in it would drastically increase the wear on whatever part rotates on it.

If you are really having a problem with it... why not get the part made up by a machine shop in all stainless or all marine bronze (which is considerably easier to machine IMHO).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-12-2007
Wind Rookie

SailingDog,
Today, I went to a machine shop and got a quote for the job: 600$. For that price, I'd better be getting a new winch...

Putting a washer in the joint is impossible. The aluminium is fixed to the stainless bottom. I have no idea on how to seperate them. Boat will be in water in 2 weeks, so I cannot afford to break the winch and have a non-funtionning winch on board.

I have been suggested to put some zinc powder (ultra fine) in the grease instead of a full anode, so the aluminium will be protected. Would that work?

Marc
Old 06-12-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
No. Zinc need to make an electrical conection to the part that is being eatin.
Can you buy a new part from the company that built the winch?
how old is it? if it lasted a long time and is cheap to replace get a new part.
Just a thought

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.
Old 06-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Try coating it with tefgel or lanocote, to prevent the water from affecting the aluminum. It works pretty well... so it is definitely worth giving it a shot.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 06-12-2007
Wind Rookie

Soul Searcher,
The brand is Enkes and it comes from Netherland. Ordering a new part would be a good solution, but importing it would take long I think. The shaft isn't broken so I do not need an urgent replacement. They are 23 years old, so I just wanted to slow the corrosion to make them last longer!

Sailingdog,
I will give it a try!

Thank you for your time!
Marc
Old 06-12-2007

travler37 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul searcher
No. Zinc need to make an electrical conection to the part that is being eatin.
Can you buy a new part from the company that built the winch?
how old is it? if it lasted a long time and is cheap to replace get a new part.
Just a thought
I know next to nothing about it but this has me thinking.
Vasaline is a conductor af electricity.Unlike grease.How about zink powder in vasaline?
Mark
Old 06-12-2007
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by travler37
I know next to nothing about it but this has me thinking.
Vasaline is a conductor af electricity.Unlike grease.How about zink powder in vasaline?
Mark
Ummm... Vaseline, which is Petrolatum Jelly, is not a conductor of electricity.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 06-12-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
To grease it, use a silicone lubricant. I have had several winches apart and corrosion was never an issue. You may want to (silicone) those inferior jobbies up and then save for some better "sea going, non corrosion types"
Old 06-12-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Vaseline, aka white petroleum jelly, IS a conductor. A poor one, but enough to create leakage current at battery terminals.

If I was going to potch around with Vaseline and zinc dust (and fine dust isn't cheap) I'd use antiseize instead. That's petroleum based oil loaded with copper, nickel, and other metal dust and it is effectively a decent conductor. It might protect the two metals as a sacrificial compound.

Putting aluminum and steel together that way in a marine part is simply defective engineering. If that is all one cylinder with just the machining we see at the bottom end...I'd try to shop around for a less expensive machine shop, and have a new part made up all from one metal--compatible with whatever the rest of the winch body is. I wonder if they could fab it from bronze instead of stainless, and still get sufficient strength and save something at the same time?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.