Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-13-2007

Duke 7184 is on a distinguished road
Sail Control

I'm considering Lazy-Jacks for my 32 foot Morgan. P=36 & E=12. I would appreciate any coments on the design and installation; that is, how many lines from the boom, how high up the mast and any other info that might be helpful. Thanks, Duke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The lazy jacks should end at about the lower spreaders. You'll probably want three-legs on your lazy jacks. Set them up so they look like this:

I
I|˚\
I|...\
I|....\
I|.....\
I|...../\
I|..../..\
I|.../...
/\
I|../.../..\
+=====

You'll need some 1/4" line, four 1" stainless steel rings, five padeyes, two small blocks, and two cleats.

I would install them with a padeye at the lower spreaders on the mast, with a small block to allow you to run the lazy jacks down the mast, so you can adjust their tension. Mount the two cleats on the mast so they lead fair to the blocks.

Run the line up the mast on each side, to the block and down, and tie it to a stainless steel ring. Mount the three padeyes at 3', 6' and 9' along the boom (assuming you have a 12' boom).

Tie two lines to the 9' padeye, run them through a ring and then tie them off at the 6' padeye. These line should be about nine feet long. They'll form the blue triangle above.

Next tie two lines to the 3' padeye and run them through a ring and tie them to the ring on the first line. These lines should be about thirteen feet long. These lines will form the red triangle above.

Last, run two lines up the mast, to the blocks, and then tie them to the ring on the second line. This will form the black line of the drawing above. Tighten the lines when you're dropping the sails, and then slacken them and lead them forward when you're out sailing. This way they won't chafe on the sail.

You may need to play with the line lengths a bit to find what works best on your boat and sail.

You could do this with blocks instead of rings, but on smaller boats, the rings work just as well and chafe the sails far less. They're also a lot less expensive.

IMHO, setting the lines up this way makes them the least likely to catch on the battens when dropping or raising the sails.

BTW, I generally will pop-rivet the padeyes to the boom or mast, rather than screw them, since the stainless steel pop-rivets are a simpler, faster, easier solution, and less prone to corrosion problems. Coat the pop rivets with lanocote or tefgel before putting them in place to help prevent galvanic corrosion between the stainless steel pop rivets and the aluminum mast. The cleats should be mounted using screws. Drill holes and tap them for the proper thread size. Use lanocote on the screws, to help protect the mast from galvanic corrosion problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 06-13-2007 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-13-2007

Duke 7184 is on a distinguished road
SD, Would bungee cord be worth considering. Duke
Old 06-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke 7184
SD, Would bungee cord be worth considering. Duke
Not for lazyjacks.

A good way to furl the sail, if you have slab reefing and lazy jacks is the method mentioned in the book Sensible Cruising. Attach three or four padeyes to one side of the boom and run a bungee cord through them. On the other side of the boom, add two or three hooks. To furl the sail, just pull the bungee over the sail and over the hook. I've illustrated the idea below. The "j" are the hooks, the "u" are the padeyes, and the "-" represents the bungee cord.

............j............j............j........... .
=======================
.....u---------u----------u---------u

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.