Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-14-2007
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Propane tank location

On a certain boat (that shall remain nameless) the propane cylinder is installed in an anchor locker. That arrangement in itself is not too great, it limits the size of a cylinder, exposes cylinder and regulator and hoses to water and potential damage by chain/anchor.

However, there really aren't any other enclosed areas to install a propane locker - ABYC does not permit them installed in cockpit lockers or engine room (and rightfully so), and there isn't anything else.

Would it be wise/allowed by rules/work well to install the tank outside, say on deck in some sort of a holder attached to stern pulpit? Am I missing anything in considering this?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Maybe like this?
http://www.suremarine.com/manuals/as...ne-lockers.pdf
Old 06-14-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Or this?
We just made some hoops from 1/2 inch SS tubing, attached to the upright on the pulpit, into which the propane cylinder base fit, and then secured the tanks with bungies at the top. Completely "vented", obviously, as were the regulator and fittings. The hoses led through sealed fitting at the deck edge and then to the appliances, one for the heater, another for the stove, no extra inside connections.
Not sure about the ABYC legality....
Attached Thumbnails
Propane tank location-view-stbd-aft2.jpg  
Old 06-14-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I've seen some excellent cabin-top propane lockers, that were made up of starboard. You can have them in cockpit lockers, provided the lockers are airtight to the rest of the boat and vent overboard.

Personally, I'm not too keen on stern mounted propane tanks or lockers. They're too exposed out on the stern IMHO.

Faster-

Those tanks are vulnerable to being hit by all sorts of stuff...and are going to corrode far more quickly than if they were in a proper locker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-14-2007
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
I've seen some excellent cabin-top propane lockers, that were made up of starboard. You can have them in cockpit lockers, provided the lockers are airtight to the rest of the boat and vent overboard.

Personally, I'm not too keen on stern mounted propane tanks or lockers. They're too exposed out on the stern IMHO.
Airtight to the rest of the boat may be a problem - all lockers open more or less down below into engine space (or very near it and not hermetically protected).

I guess deck it is, though I'd probably install inboard of stern pulpit rather than outboard. Beats anchor locker anyway
Old 06-14-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Faster-

Those tanks are vulnerable to being hit by all sorts of stuff...and are going to corrode far more quickly than if they were in a proper locker.
It's true that they may be prone to rusting than enclosed installs, but this boat's transom is such a severe reverse that impact with anything was unlikely. In any event this arrangement served us quite well for a number of years.
Old 06-14-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster
It's true that they may be prone to rusting than enclosed installs, but this boat's transom is such a severe reverse that impact with anything was unlikely. In any event this arrangement served us quite well for a number of years.
And I thought the extreme counter of the transom was a photographic distortion. Probably wouldn't work on too many other boats though... at least not well.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 06-14-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
These Propane Cylinders will not rust or corrode.
Old 06-14-2007
Telstar 28

The valve mechanism is still prone to corrosion...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 06-14-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Back in my boat-hunting days I looked at a C&C 38 II (happened to belong to Tom Clancy) setup for cruising that had two cylinders positioned on the stern rail. It all looked OK to me...

Brak, if the current propane gear in the anchor locker isn't all beat up, you might leave well enough alone - yes, not the "right" place to put it, but is it in fact broken enough to change?

PS, Faster that is a hot looking boat, is it in fact a flush deck? How about some pics, now that we know every inch of the famous Giulietta...