Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-14-2007

deckhanddave is on a distinguished road
repower to a 2gm20?

After pulling my A4 , assessing the damage (seized from a stuck valve, very rusty, generally ugly), adding necessary goodies (fresh water cooling, electronic ignition, electric fuel pump) and considering the cost of boring and balancing, I've found that a rebuild will set me back almost $2000. This doesn't include time ( that would be better spent working on the actual boat).

The Irony is that I was just offered a used yanmar 2gm20 for $2000. This puts me in a bit of a conundrum as I know that going with diesel would also require me to completely change my fuel system (tank is shot anyway so maybe thats not so bad) making the project cost something like $3200 - 3500 (the seller said I'd also need to get a longer prop shaft but I don't yet see why...). I didn't see or ask the condition of the yanmar, all I know is that the guy has two of them equally equipped for the same price. He also said he's repowered two other t30's with these engines. Just when I think that I'm dead set on one thing (rebuild of the A4), another pops up. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2007

Gary M is on a distinguished road
I would jump at the chance to have a Yanmar instead of a A4 for just $2k more. However you do need to define all of the work required before you make a decision. A new tank, filter and fuel lines will not be that expensive
(500 ?). If the seller says you need a longer shaft he is probably right (1-200?).
Then you will likely need a new prop due to the lower RPMs and then you need to look at the engine base which will likely have to be modified or replaced and new engine mounts may be required.
Does it come with an engine panel?

Still if it was me and I was confident that the Yanamr was a good engine I would go for it.
Gary
Old 06-15-2007

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
Does that Yanmar include the transmission? The one with your A4 won't work with the Yanmar. As stated above, you will also need a new prop and you will need to tear out the old mounts and add new mounts.

I looked at doing this to replace my Palmer P-60 and decided against it. However, lots of people have done it successfully.

Good luck!
Old 06-15-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If the Yanmar is in good condition and comes with a transmission, then I would probably recommend going with it, rather than re-building the Atomic 4. However, you will probably need to replace the fuel lines and such.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-15-2007

agaliha is on a distinguished road
Boy, I would jump on the Yanmar. I have owned two of them and they are unbeatable. You will get every penny out of the investment upon resale and you will enjoy every moment of owning the Yanmar.
Old 06-15-2007

yeah the transmission is included in the price. I feel confident that I should be able to install it myself (and I really don't have too much of a choice considering my cash flow). Also I don't know if this is the f (freshwater cooled) version or not. I only want the F version. I just need to have a mechanic friend take a look at it and give me a thumbs. *sigh* I'm glad I signed up for that new cash rewards credit card
Old 06-15-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Go with the diesel. I agree with all the posts.
Old 06-16-2007

update: it's not a 2gm20 but the older 2gm. It was new back in '95 and pulled from a 33fter to provide more power. So here's the new question(s):

1) If I was planning to do some extended cruising, would a raw water diesel be satisfactory, or am I asking for trouble. The last thing I want is to put this in and kill it some where "out there".

2) is $2000 for a used (not remanufactured, but the guy selling it says he rebuilt it back to "A-1" condition) 2gm with tranny acceptable or too much money.

Thanks again
Old 06-16-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
I don't think RWC is appropriate for any salt water vessel.
For $2k, I would want to hear it run first. A compression test isn't really required if it runs ok. With a diesel, if it doesn't have compression it won't run. Oh yea, it shouldn't require any kind of starting fluid to get it started.