SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

racor question

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  rperret 
#1 ·
Hi

Last question of evening...

I have a Racor model 230 (with the integrated prime pump) and clear bowl at bottom.

First basic question - how do you know if the bowl is full of water vs. fuel? The diesel in our parts is dyed red - the substance in the bowl is red colored. So how can I tell if there is any water in the bowl? If you don't have water, is the bowl typically full of fuel? Or empty?

Second, if there is some water, will it show as being a seperate layer in the bowl along with the fuel? If there is water, can I simply drain it? My filter sits at same level as the fuel tank. After draining any water, do I rebleed the system? Do I have to pump fresh fuel via the filter prime pump?

Thanks much!

#3 ·
You should be able to see the water in the bottom of the bowl. The water is heavier than the diesel, and will sink to the bottom. It usually looks different from the diesel and is easily recognizable.
If you see anything other than diesel in the bottom of the bowl, then, as stated previously, drain it out using the screw in the bottom of the bowl.
Bleeding is not usually necessary after draining the water / trash from the bowl.
Be sure to hold some type of container below the filter bowl before turning it to catch the fuel / water / trash coming out.:)

#4 ·
It is often neccessary to break the vent screw at the top of the Racor to allow the bleed screw at the bottom to work. THis is not the plastic screw, it is a very small hexagon screw on the top. Even if you do have some air bubbles, your pump may pull them out. Your engine may die a few times or take a while to crank, then it will work fine. If it does not, you can self-prime which is very simple and easy.

Yes, as stated before, you will see the seperation. Most of these filters, when they become too full, will shut off the fuel - saving you from a costly mistake. Better to check peiodically as part of your maintenance schedule though.

- CD

PS Put a rag or two under the cup that will receive the water from the Racor. For some reason, it splatters a bit and even a little diesel in the bilge seems to fumigate the whole boat. Just a word of warning so you are not mistaken for a stink-potter at the Yacht Club! (smile).

#5 ·
Cruisingdad said:
....For some reason, it splatters a bit and even a little diesel in the bilge seems to fumigate the whole boat. Just a word of warning so you are not mistaken for a stink-potter at the Yacht Club! (smile).
I can see how that would happen to you a lot... ;)

#7 ·
Cruisingdad said:
Ohhh SD!!! If you only knew me!!!!!! I am the ANTI-Yacht club. I feel wearing flip-flops is dressing up... and I prefer casual!! HAHA!!

- CD
That is exactly what I meant... and how more anti-Yatch club can you get than a power boat...;) Or in your case, a floating barbeque grill and solar panel station, masquerading as a boat.

#9 ·
Cruisingdad said:
It is often neccessary to break the vent screw at the top of the Racor to allow the bleed screw at the bottom to work. THis is not the plastic screw, it is a very small hexagon screw on the top. Even if you do have some air bubbles, your pump may pull them out. Your engine may die a few times or take a while to crank, then it will work fine. If it does not, you can self-prime which is very simple and easy.

Yes, as stated before, you will see the seperation. Most of these filters, when they become too full, will shut off the fuel - saving you from a costly mistake. Better to check peiodically as part of your maintenance schedule though.

- CD

PS Put a rag or two under the cup that will receive the water from the Racor. For some reason, it splatters a bit and even a little diesel in the bilge seems to fumigate the whole boat. Just a word of warning so you are not mistaken for a stink-potter at the Yacht Club! (smile).
Thanks all. Right now she looks like all fuel - but maybe I should do a drain a few drops just in case.

I do love this Yanmar - once I fixed the bleed screw/banjo bolt problem - she starts very easily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.