Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-19-2007
Lost

rrgane is on a distinguished road
leaky portlights w/ aluminium frames

hey everyone, i just finished up my job of ripping all the deteriorated veneer out of the inside of my I-29, and as we all know each project is pregnant! so a few hours after cleaning up it started to rain and i could now see that the water i was accumulating was coming from my big 'picture window' portlights. they are the kind with aluminum frames that have self tapping screws on the inside that pull the port tight. anyway, i popped the worst offender out, cleaned it up and rebedded it with 4200. well i am quite sure the seal is good, but next rain it still leaked, however i see now that the water is accumulating on top of the lower sill, so my guess is the o-ring around the plexiglass has failed.

i have done every search i can think of to find out what can be done about this, but maybe i am just calling things by a wrong name, or not searching effectively, but i have not been able to find anything. so, has anyone been able to successfully re-seat the plexiglass (or lexan) into their aluminum frames? is there any website out there that shows the proccess?

i have thought about just ix'ing the whole idea and screwing plexiglass to the outside without any frame (you know like how all the slinky new boats have?) and while i think that may be my best bet, i think it might look stooooooooopid on my Islander 29

thanks!!

randall

Last edited by rrgane; 06-20-2007 at 10:52 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2007
Quit calling me a member

morganmike is on a distinguished road
New Found Metals - Marine Hardware and Stainless Portlights

They don't have what you're looking for, but chances are you'll end up here anyway. I did. Good luck.
Old 06-19-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
New Found Metals has had some serious complaints raised against them, so I would be cautious in any dealings with them.

The idea of using Lexan and bolting it directly to the hull is a good one, and far more feasible than you might imagine. BTW, I would use Lexan, rather than Plexiglass, since it is far stronger and more impact resistant. Don't screw it to the boat either—through bolt it as it is a much stronger and safer way to install it. Drill the holes in the Lexan a bit oversized as it will expand and contract a bit, and needs to float around the fastener to do so. Use washers or a trim ring to accomodate the slightly larger holes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-19-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
New Found Metals has had some serious complaints raised against them, so I would be cautious in any dealings with them.
??? Can you elaborate SD ??? Am just about ready to write a cheque to them...
Old 06-19-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I've just seen some pretty vitriolic posts regarding them, their customer service and such... so might be worth being cautious. Even if much of it is exxagerated, there is usually a grain of truth to such posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-20-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Hmm - there are a few people on the CS owners site that have been raving about the quality and the perfect fit... I'll dig a little further..r
Old 06-20-2007
Lost

rrgane is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
BTW, I would use Lexan, rather than Plexiglass, since it is far stronger and more impact resistant. Don't screw it to the boat either—through bolt it as it is a much stronger and safer way to install it.
yeah if i do go that way, i would prefer to use Lexan because of it's strength, even though i have read it does not stand up to UV as well as Plexiglass. however, i have a slight curve to the side of my dog house, and i do not think Lexan in the thickness i would use will have the flexibility i would need.

Absolutely through bolting.. the sides of my doghouse are solid fiberglass, so there wouldn't be really anything to speak of to screw into.

Thanks everyone! i am anxious to hear anything about New Found Metals, as i am somewhat close to Port Townsend, and plan to be sailing that way soon anyway.
Old 06-20-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
New found Metals was offering very deep discounts at the Strickly Sail Shows. May be worth sayng you saw them there.
Old 06-20-2007

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
Hi All,
I just installed my first of 8 New Found metal ports (4-4 by 10's, 4-4 by 14's) They actually listed the sizes required for my boat..which most places don't have. I am VERY happy with them so far. At 180$ for the 4 by 10's I wasn't expecting them to be so WELL built. They seem far more sturdy than the plastic bomar style ones that i took out. The tempered glass is very thick and the metal seems of good quality. They are spring loaded so they stay open on their own. And the all metal latches are easy to use (not screw down) and seem as though nothing could get through them.
I had the same leaky problems with my old ports and had lexan cut to fit inside them. It looked bad and since i couldn't open them the boat was verey stuffy. Moreover.....i was not about to go to sea with those peices of crap in my boat. All the dog ears were broken off so they wouldn't stay shut! One wave slap and i would be all done!!!! I had to enlarge the cut out with a jig saw to make them fit, but NFM provides templates for a small fee, i would higly recomend using them.
The only downside is that the 4 by 14's were on backorder for 5-6 weeks (as of 3 weeks ago). However, i am so far from launching that it won't be a problem ( I'll just have to wait even longer to get a taste of Buzzards Bay). Overall i would highly recomend the product! You could spend 4-500 per window (Spartan Marine) but i don't think they will be much better (i've seen them on other boats). That said i would love to hear of any compaints so i can be on the lookout. Thanks, Preston
Old 06-20-2007
Catalina 38 Avantura

duffer1960 is on a distinguished road
I just did this to my Catalina 38 three winters ago. I bought the supplies from catalinadirect.com. I know yours isn't a catalina, but the aluminum frames are probably pretty generic. Once removed, the frames seperated into two halves. I was able to purchase new weatherstripping for between the glass and frame, and new trim for inside the frame. It was a fairly easy job to do, the hardest part was cleaning all of the old sealant out of the tracks. I bet you could remove one of the ports and disassemble it and take it to a local window shop and get the proper fitting seal, and I bet for a lot cheaper. I wasn't able to find a direct link on the catalinadirect website for the repair kits, so I did a search for "window repair" on the site and found some matches. Also FYI, the portlights in my Catalina were tempered glass, not lexan or plexiglass.
Catalina 38, Hull #112
"AVANTURA"
Lake Erie
Grosse Ile, Michigan

Last edited by duffer1960; 06-20-2007 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.